Old 19-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Sue Alexandre

Default Hovering insects

Hi.
I've noticed for the past week or so that there is a swarm of flying insects hovering over my new, small turtle pond. (about 150 gallons). There is LOTS of plant life in the pond, a filter, a tiny waterfall (for aeration) 3 turtles, one oranda, and a few newly hatched fish (from eggs I had thrown in there). What are they and how do I get them to leave? They are smaller than mosquitoes, almost like gnats, and they are ALWAYS hanging a few inches above the water over the turtle pond. Very frustrating when I'm in there putzing. I've never noticed them hanging over the 4,000 gallon koi pond.
Sue
Old 19-07-2003, 10:42 PM
K30a

They are a midgey gnatty type of insect. They hatched out from eggs in the
water. Dragon and damselflies will eat them.
And the fish will eat the eggs so when your fish eggs hatch they will help the
oranda that's in there already.
When we set up ponds Mother Nature sends all her critters to take advantage of
the bounty.

k30a