Old 22-07-2003, 04:10 AM
Judy

Default Can someone explain what Anacharis is?

I see many post regarding a plant called anacharis. Is this a
recommended plant to have in your pond? Does it spread fast, does it
need upkeep? How do you plant it? Does it float or do you have to
plant it in something and how many plants would you need? So many
questions but where I'm at I don't see it for sale but sure hear about
it alot. Thanks
Old 22-07-2003, 04:11 AM
Nedra

Suggest you do your own research.
www.google.com

Nedra

om...

Old 22-07-2003, 04:11 AM
jammer

On 21 Jul 2003 18:44:41 -0700, (Judy) wrote:

I see many post regarding a plant called anacharis. Is this a
recommended plant to have in your pond? Does it spread fast, does it
need upkeep? How do you plant it? Does it float or do you have to
plant it in something and how many plants would you need? So many
questions but where I'm at I don't see it for sale but sure hear about
it alot. Thanks

Here is a picture of it:
http://store.yahoo.com/watergarden/anacharis.html

I didnt find a real good website about it, but it is an oxygenating
plant and naturally filters the water, thus helping to keep it clear.
It is also good for the wildlife in the pond. You can just throw it
in, (it'll end up where it wants to anyway), you can tie it to a brick
and sink it, or i guess you could pot it, but i don't see the point.
It's a good plant to have in the pond.
Old 22-07-2003, 05:21 AM
infoseeker

using Nedra's advice, I plugged in a google search- (took me more than 0.7
seconds, as I didn't know how to spell the plant : ] , and slower
computer/connection. Of course, then check out the sites.

Some sites also refered to it as water weed. It is an oxygenator.

This website below warns that a certain type of it is on the noxious weed (&
illegal) list in South Carolina!

http://www.dnr.state.sc.us/water/env...harisalert.pdf

good tip to check google, and to hear from folks who know what it is- thanks
jammer! I too didn't know.

"Judy" wrote in message
om...

Old 22-07-2003, 05:43 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

and if you click on IMAGES you will get a load of pics of it.

--
LN in NH (new gardener in zone 5)
photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Suggest you do your own research.
www.google.com

Nedra

om...

Old 22-07-2003, 03:33 PM
BenignVanilla

"Judy" wrote in message
om...
I see many post regarding a plant called anacharis. Is this a
recommended plant to have in your pond? Does it spread fast, does it
need upkeep? How do you plant it? Does it float or do you have to
plant it in something and how many plants would you need? So many
questions but where I'm at I don't see it for sale but sure hear about
it alot. Thanks

Anacharis, often referred to as an Oxygen plant by some ponders, is
indigenous to South American countries like Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and
Brazil. A mature plant can grow to as much as 13 feet in length! It's Latin
name is Elodea Densa. It can thrive in hard water with little light, and
likes a pH of 6.5-7.5.

This plant is a marginal that will happily float in your pond, and sometimes
sink to the bottom. There is no need to pot it up, just toss it in. If you
bury an end of anacharis in a pot, your aquarium or some other substrate, it
will root and flourish at the bottom of your pond or aquarium.

This plant creates a lot of oxygen in the water by day, but will actually
use up O2 during the night, so you shouldn't expect to replace proper
aeration with this plant.
Some ponders will put Anacharis in their vegetable filter (VF) to assist in
filtration. If your VF is deep enough this is a great, but if you have a
shallow VF, the Anacharis may compete too much with your main filter plants,
such as Water Hyacinth or Water Iris.

Anacharis is usually sold is small bunch of 3-4 stems of about 6-8 inches
long. Typical cost is just a few dollars. This plant will grow like crazy in
your pond, and in no time you will be finding strands of anacharis over 3
feet long. Most ponders end up composting anacharis each season because it
is such an aggressive grower.

BV.