Old 23-07-2003, 08:09 PM
Hobby Gardener

Location: Harrow, Middx
Default Lilly pad problem

I have been contacted by Marion, who has a 20 acre pond covered in Lilly pads, and has been for 4 years.

Each year the pond is getting shallower as a result of the plant material.

What is the best way of removing them? (organic options preferable..)

Kevin
Old 23-07-2003, 09:02 PM
K30a

That's what ponds do. They fill in.
The pond needs to be dug out.
These are my resources for large ponds.

The following are great resources
for large, natural ponds.
Earth Pond Sourcebook
by Tim Matson
and the newsgroup
misc.rural
and the ask the Pond Boss forum
http://www.pondboss.com/cgibin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi
and

http://www.aquaticecosystems.com/aquatic1v1/
[url]http://www.aquaticecosystems.com/aquatic1v1/index.icl[/url
and, very important,
call your county extension agent before digging, find out
if there are any rules and regulations you need to be
aware of. Depending on what you are doing they can be
a lot of help along the way.

good luck!

Kevin wrote I have been contacted by Marion, who has a 20 acre pond covered
in Lilly
pads, and has been for 4 years.

Each year the pond is getting shallower as a result of the plant
material.

What is the best way of removing them? (organic options preferable..)

k30a
Old 30-07-2003, 10:33 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Would a backhoe be considered organic? ~ jan

On 23 Jul 2003 19:45:43 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

That's what ponds do. They fill in.
The pond needs to be dug out.
These are my resources for large ponds.

The following are great resources
for large, natural ponds.
Earth Pond Sourcebook
by Tim Matson
and the newsgroup
misc.rural
and the ask the Pond Boss forum
http://www.pondboss.com/cgibin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi
and
HREF="http://www.aquaticecosystems.com/aquatic1v1/index.icl"http://www.aq
uaticecosystems.com/aquatic1v1/index.icl/A
and, very important,
call your county extension agent before digging, find out
if there are any rules and regulations you need to be
aware of. Depending on what you are doing they can be
a lot of help along the way.

good luck!

Kevin wrote I have been contacted by Marion, who has a 20 acre pond covered
in Lilly
pads, and has been for 4 years.

Each year the pond is getting shallower as a result of the plant
material.

What is the best way of removing them? (organic options preferable..)

k30a

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 30-07-2003, 10:48 PM
K30a

jan wrote
Would a backhoe be considered organic?

If it results in a pond, heck yes! :-)

k30a
yearly brother website posting
http://www.30acreimaging.com/

Longevity of plant propogation pad (ie, heating pad)? gonzo Edible Gardening 0 13-03-2008 11:55 AM
Lily Pad life Heather Ponds 1 18-06-2003 02:20 PM
Alternative filter for dynoflo-2 -without carbon pad Sushil Prasad Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:26 AM
Alternative filter for dynoflo-2 -without carbon pad Sushil Prasad Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 31-03-2003 09:32 AM
Disguising an old aviary concrete pad Gen Australia 4 29-03-2003 01:56 PM