Old 31-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Joan

Default sodium thiosulfate

I read on here that we could use sodium thiosulfate, which is no doubt
cheaper than buying regular Pond DeChlorinator.

Where do you buy it and how much do you use?

Thanks---

Old 31-07-2003, 08:02 AM
zookeeper

Joan wrote:
I read on here that we could use sodium thiosulfate, which is no doubt
cheaper than buying regular Pond DeChlorinator.

Where do you buy it and how much do you use?

I just ordered it from http://watergarden.com and it has directions on
the
label for the dosing. I think I've read on here that it's
easiest to make a "stock" solution in a jar, but for my
3500 gal pond, I'll probably just dissolve some in pond
water as I begin adding water.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500 gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 31-07-2003, 10:02 AM
David Modine

Here is one source:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1...r=ID1059641337
139705E64&eflag=0&iteminfo4=0&itmid=1613&passitemi d=1613

Old 31-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Lee Brouillet

A lot of sources suggest making a "stock solution". What they don't tell you
is that as soon as you mix it with water, it starts to deteriorate, and is
no longer "fresh". It is pure ST, and has no stabilizers. You're much better
off - as you said - mixing it in a bucket of pond water and tossing it in
as you need it. Off the top of my head, I think 1 tsp. will treat 500
gallons. I usually refill my pond after a water change by stuffing the hose
in the skimmer box, next to the pump intake. I just toss the dry ST right
there, and let the hose mix it in with the water. Just remember: it *ONLY*
treats chlorine, not the ammonia portion if your water supply has
chloramine. In 10-15% water changes, it gives your filter an extra dose of
ammonia on which to feed. On larger water changes, the ammonia issue must be
addressed or you can put your fish in danger.

Lee

Old 31-07-2003, 06:05 PM

aquatic ecosystems online sells it. I keep a tablespoon and toss it in dry. hard to
overdose the margin of error is 10X.
INgrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 01-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Gary Rich

Joan wrote:
I read on here that we could use sodium thiosulfate, which is no doubt
cheaper than buying regular Pond DeChlorinator.

Where do you buy it and how much do you use?

Thanks---

You can get it at any photo/darkroom supply place. Probably costs
1/10th what it costs from a pond place.

Old 01-08-2003, 04:04 AM
RichToyBox

According to Doc Johnson, you want to be sure to obtain fish safe
aquaculture (not the penta-anhydrous form of photo hypo). I just bought the
50 pound container from Aquatic Eco for $52 plus shipping, which should
treat about 1.5 million gallons of water. That should last me for a few
years. Compared to the about $50 per gallon for material to treat 37,000
gallons, that I went through about 4 of a year.
--
RichToyBox

Old 01-08-2003, 12:42 PM

J (Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:41:39 -0400):
Where do you buy it and how much do you use?

Sneak in my garage. I've got 49.95 lbs. of it in there.

A pinch in a pint will do it.

--
'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`' `'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'
SLOTHEAD
Old 01-08-2003, 01:22 PM
DavidM

According to Doc Johnson, you want to be sure to obtain fish safe
aquaculture (not the penta-anhydrous form of photo hypo). I just bought

the
50 pound container from Aquatic Eco for $52 plus shipping, which should
treat about 1.5 million gallons of water. That should last me for a few
years. Compared to the about $50 per gallon for material to treat 37,000
gallons, that I went through about 4 of a year.
--

The Doc fails to tell us what the formula is for fish safe sodium
thiosulfate.

In our lab, we have Sodium Thiosulphate 5-Hydrate, which is hydrated rather
than anhydrous. This would be the logical alternative to the hydrated fish
harming variety, anybody know if this is what he recommends?
David

Sodium Thiosulfate - good source Reel Mckoi Ponds 11 26-07-2005 06:50 AM
Sodium Thiosulfate ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 25 04-01-2005 02:02 AM
Sodium Thiosulfate ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 0 31-12-2004 02:42 AM
Recipe for de-chlorinator using sodium thiosulfate Bob Alston Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
Recipe for de-chlorinator using sodium thiosulfate Bob Alston Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 27-02-2003 01:16 AM