Old 31-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Km

Default New Filter. Green Water

Maybe someone can advise me. My pond water (2500 gallon pond) has gradually
become greener and greener over the years as the fish load increased. I had
a 100 gallon bio-filter. So I increased the filter by adding another filter
in parallel with the other filter for a total filter size of 450 gallons.
But here's what happened. Within about a week the pond started clearing.
By two weeks it was crystal clear, even in hot weather. I was elated and
could see the fish once again. However, after another two weeks the pond
has turned green again. Terrible disappointment. But the question is: Is
this normal? Can I expect it to cycle back and forth for a while as the new
filter grows more bacteria and then eventually stabilize? Thanks for your
help. Green Bob

Old 31-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

The answer is YES! But you are on the road to permanent recovery and clear
water.

Don't add anymore fish to your pond, and don't change your water or mess
with your filter! Patience!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 31-07-2003, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I pretty much agree, but Green Bob, I think you ought to test your water.
What is your maintenance schedule like? How many fish & types do you have
in this 2500 pond? What kind of media did you use in the filter? ~ jan

See jj's ponds and filter design: http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

Old 31-07-2003, 03:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"Km" wrote in message
[...]

1. NO water changes, you just feed the algae that way.
2. NO more fish, you just feed the algae that way.
3. DON'T rinse your filter media with non-pond water, you just feed the
algae that way.
4. Throw some more plants in, you starve the algae that way.
5. Abide by the golden rule, STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN POND!!!

BV.

Old 31-07-2003, 04:32 PM
DavidM

1. NO water changes, you just feed the algae that way.
2. NO more fish, you just feed the algae that way.
3. DON'T rinse your filter media with non-pond water, you just feed the
algae that way.
4. Throw some more plants in, you starve the algae that way.
5. Abide by the golden rule, STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN POND!!!

BV.

These rules work well with my pond. However, I have lots of plant in a small
1000gallon pond and still suffered from green water this year. All it took
was one treatment with 'Green Away', an algae aggregating agent we get in
the UK, and it cleared over night. The plants grew at an amazing rate for
the next week, took over from the algae as main nutrient sink, and the pond
has stayed clear.

I think it all depends on the weather during spring, and whether plants or
algae get established first as the dominant life form. Algae seemed to be
winning this year (until I defeated them).

David
UK

Old 31-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Critical Popperian

1. NO water changes, you just feed the algae that way.
2. NO more fish, you just feed the algae that way.
3. DON'T rinse your filter media with non-pond water, you just feed the
algae that way.
4. Throw some more plants in, you starve the algae that way.
5. Abide by the golden rule, STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN POND!!!

He... BV, we might not agree on politics, but this post cracked me up!

Old 01-08-2003, 02:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"Critical Popperian" wrote in message
om...
1. NO water changes, you just feed the algae that way.
2. NO more fish, you just feed the algae that way.
3. DON'T rinse your filter media with non-pond water, you just feed the
algae that way.
4. Throw some more plants in, you starve the algae that way.
5. Abide by the golden rule, STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN POND!!!

He... BV, we might not agree on politics, but this post cracked me up!

I'd like to agree, but that just wouldn't be any fun.

BV.