Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Dave M

Default Pond Equipment Questions

Have been lurking for a few weeks and a wealth of information in this group,
thanks to all who take the time to post and answer questions, sure we'll be
taking advantage of the expertise in the future. We're getting ready to put
in a pond, will want to include some coldfish/comets but not Koi at this
point. The pond will be approximately 16' X 22' and about 30" deep on
average. Have been looking at kits for the equipment in order to purchase as
a single package. The kit (Pond Supply of America, PSA) we've found includes
a 6600 GPH @ 5' head Ebara pump (DOM5 Model), a Pondsweep Pro1200 skimmer,
and a Purifalls PF40 40" waterfall/filter- any comments about Ebara pumps
and the other equipment.

From a wattage perspective, this one at 660 watts seems to be in the
reasonably high efficiency range compared to others, has a 3 year warranty
as well. Sure I could find all the individual components but the idea of
purchasing a kit with almost all that is needed appeals to us, my question
is really related to the components and trying to get some comments about
how well they've held up for others that have purchased them in the past,
whether you would purchase them again, value for money, etc. The URL for the
kit is below for reference purposes. The supplier is JustLiners.com, also
would be interested in feedback to that supplier. Thanks in advance for the
comments.

http://www.justliners.com/psapondkits.htm

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Mickey

I am not familiar with the pump but ask for the spec sheet including
electrical draw. I have seen pumps that size draw 600+ watts that is one
expensive electric bill. Make sure you get a good efficient pump such as the

Old 05-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Dave M

Checked the specs and the pump draws 606 watts. Think that works out to be
about 15 kwh's per day and the cost per kilowatt here is about $.10 so works
out to about $1.50 per day/$45.00 per month. Does that calculation sound
right? That's about what we were expecting.

Looks like to get any real savings, I'd need to get to around 400 watts and
would have to go to an out of pond pump? I like the idea of running the pump
submersed in the skimmer so not sure that's a real alternative;. Will search
a bit more to see if there are any submersible pumps in that GPH range of
lower wattage.

Thanks for the feedback.