Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Theo van Daele

Default Official heat wave pics...

Sorry! Not much sympathy from me! 115 heat index and 109F
It's brutal!!!!!

Boohoo :-)

Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Sam Hopkins

I heat wave here would be 2 days without rain and temps above 75. It's been
a crazy sad summer for the residents of Pittsburgh, PA. It's been raining
nearly everyday for about 4 months now.

"Theo van Daele" wrote in message
So we officially have a heat wave (more than 5 consecutive days above

30°C),
fish are dying in natural ponds through oxygen deprivation :-(

33°C in the shade as I type this... (92°F) at 9 PM

Courtesy of a spray bar (thanks Roark) and a trickle tower (and a Hi Blow

or
2) and lots of spraying, my garden manages to survive this very un-Belgian
weather. So do the fish.

Water temp: 23°C

Pics can be found at http://www.wide-o.net/august_pond/

Enjoy :-)

Theo

Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Nedra

Ah Yes, Antwerp... I know Antwerp. Your landscaping
does look
like England - now I know why!
And Yes, my neighbor, Yette, goes to Belgium often.
At least every 6 months.

Yette does indeed still speak French... what
is strange is that her sis, Anne, is over here as well & she
speaks French and sounds French whereas Yette sounds
Dutch or German! She talks alot about WWII and the
days when the
Germans were coming and going. Then when the Yanks
started bombing!! Wow! Don't believe I would have liked
it there at all. Her hubby went back with her a couple of times.
(a different hubby from the one she married during the War.)
Augie walked all over Liege and was very impressed with the city.
You have told me more than I've ever known and we've been
neighbors for 45 years. LOL!

I knew about the Ardens ... My ex-hubby had gotten shot
down over Liege so they had lots to talk about.

Nedra

"Theo van Daele" wrote in message
Thanks Nedra.

England ... probably true, but it is a coincidence. Although we have a

very
similar climate I suppose, and we do watch many BBC gardening programs

over
here.

I live near Antwerp, about 50 miles from Liege. Did your neighbor ever
visit Belgium again ? Does she still speak French ? (I'm from the Flemish
parts)

Liege is a very special town ("The Fire City") and has in history long

been
it's own state. It's also the "gateway" to the Ardens, where so many
remains of WWII can still be found. In fact Belgium is one big WWII
museum.

Theo

"Nedra" schreef in bericht
link.net...
I just drooled over your pictures, Theo. Just like K30,
I too missed the fact that you are in Belgium. I thought you
all were in England... in fact, your pond pics just scream England!

Sorry.
Where, if
you don't mind telling us, in Belgium are you?
My neighbor is from Liege. A World War II bride!

Nedra

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
K30a

Theo wrote . do yours jump in the
pond very often ?

My labradors are a bit odd. Neither one of them like to swim!
As puppies they like to dig in the turf bank and make it all muddy. They took
out water hyacinths, chewed them up and pulled lilies to the side by their
pads. And they laid in wait for spawning goldfish and removed the fish from the
pond to lay on the grass, I think they thought they were the vice patrol.
Now that they are older they leave the pond alone. Every once in a while the
younger labrador will go racing through the frog bog and suffer smelly paws as
a result.

Hope it cools off!

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html
Old 09-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Theo van Daele

Hey Nedra,

Yette does indeed still speak French...

Is she perhaps called "Yvette" ? Or maybe changed her name later ?
Yvette is a "common" French name, Yette certainly is not, hence the
question.

what
is strange is that her sis, Anne, is over here as well & she
speaks French and sounds French whereas Yette sounds
Dutch or German!

I guess 50 odd years in the US might do that to a person :ducks: :-)

Don't believe I would have liked
it there at all.

Belgium has been bombed, invaded & ruled by just about every country in the
world (I think New Zealand gave it a miss ;-) From reading up on these
wars, it would seem that WWI was even worse when it came to death toll &
general mayhem (trenches).
But indeed, WWII was not the best time to wander around over here,
especially in 44 - 45 during the Von Rundstedt offensive.

Anyway, off to make some paste food for the fishies !

Theo

Old 09-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Nedra

But Yette's full name is Henriette (sp)
Yette is her nick-name.
Yep, I know Yvette is common French name.

Let us know how the fish like the Pasta.

Nedra