Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
*muffin*

Default how NOT to plant lilies

I read this *wonderful* idea of how to plant lilies...
it said use a basket (like a clothes one with holes) line it with burlap,, &
plant the lily... it said it would give more 'air' to the roots & soil, so
you wouldn't get that yucky black smelly planting mix..

wellllllllllll.
seemed good idea.

till I was walking into the pond the other day. ( in case you don't
remember, I cannot SEE the bottom of the pond.so had NO clue). & stepped
into MUCKY thick stuff..........hmmm. I bent over,, picked up the 'pot'...
the burlap was almost GONE there was almost no dirt left IN the
container........ all was left was a BIG clump of rhizomes....plus some dirt
& gravel... all the rest had slid to the bottom of the pond....
arrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok, now what... NO bottom drain, ( wish I read THIS group before putting in
my pond......but my luck the thing would drain for some reason)..

not sure...... but ~'maybe'~ this is the reason my pond is murky??? would
this ever clear up on its own?? do I NEED to figure out how to +suck+ it
out??

*sniffle*

oh & hey... the black stuff, it was supposed to prevent??? weelllll once I
stirred it all up,, my pond took on a NICE dark color....
hmmmph.

plus I KNOW it will get worse,, as my son is coming back for avisit next
week to put 4 strands of rope lights on the bottom of my pond.
(lovely,....... probably won't even see them)

Muffin veryyyy bummed out........

Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Matt Helliwell

*muffin* wrote:

[...]

I've had a few pots tip over etc into the pond, it all seems to settle
out and sit on the bottom after a few days. Personally I'd leave the
stuff on the pond as it'll give extra places for insects and what have
you to hide and breed.

Somebody will be along in a minute to tell you you should just plant the
lily in a big bucket....

--
Matt Helliwell
www.helliwell.me.uk

Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
RichToyBox

Several have used quilt batting in a bucket filter to remove fine material.
Set the pump on the bottom, and as the soil settles, and koi play in it, the
pump will move it to the batting for straining. If you leave it in the
pond, the koi will play in it continuously, and you will never see down into
the water.
--
RichToyBox

&

Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
BenignVanilla

I am not sure what to snip, so I am top posting. If you don't like it,
*phbpt*.

Muff...I have started repotting everything I have in pebbles and rocks. I
don't use soil anymore except for my lily and my lotus. The lotus is getting
moved to it's own pond next year, and the lily will probably get replanted
in pebbles.

As for the dirt...I found once my clay settled, the only critter that could
stir enough up to foul the water was me. The fish stir it a bit, but it
settles within minutes. My VF is very shallow, a foot or so. Much falls out
there, so a few times I have vacu-sucked the much from there. I am slowly
removing it all from the pond.

My best advice for settelage...here it comes...STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN
POND!!!

BV.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Mary & Dan Harrington

Take a look at these water vacuums.

http://store.yahoo.com/123ponds/muckvac.html

http://www.adamsaquatics.com/adams_aquatics_2_005.htm

http://www.yourpondstore.com/Pond%20Vacuum.htm

http://www.wernersponds.com/pond_vac.html

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
GaneaRowenna

I agree with BV. I also use rocks and pebbles. Everything seems to be doing
great. I even have one lily that just sits on the bottom of the pond.
ShawnAnne
High Desert, zone 6

Old 09-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Tom La Bron

BV et al,

Remember me, I tried the rocks in the pot technique and my plants are not
doing worth a damn. The new filter I built this spring must be doing great,
because I would assume that the lilies are suppose to get their nutrient
from the water, but the new filter is doing such a great job there is
nothing left for the plants to use out of the water.

Draw your own conclusions, I don't think that I will have any plants to
divide and get rid for postage new spring, so I am either going back to my
clay garden soil or some of the aquatic soil which is not much more than
clay kitty litter.

I guess it all depends on your water chemistry.

Tom L.L.
==========================

Old 09-08-2003, 07:42 PM
bobkiely \(Remove NOSPAM\)

Well dear muffin:
Maybe this will perk you up. When I planted the lily you sent me I put
planter mix in the bottom of a regular plastic pot (9-10" wide at the top
and maybe 12-14" high) and then put about 4 lbs. of lava rock on top of the
planter mix. Its in about 18" of water.

I now have 8 new leaves with another one opening today and just this morning
a lily flower opened! I'm so jazzed about that... Remember the raccoon
knocked off the bud that you sent with the plant? I hope you can get your
situation resolved.
BK

Old 09-08-2003, 09:42 PM

fill your 100 gallon quarantine stock tank up with pond water.. add aeration. drain
the pond until the fish are nearly flopping. net and move them into the stock tank.
continue draining the pond. use plastic shovels (that wont pierce the liner) and
sweep the mud and muck into shovels and get it out of the pond. use a bit of water
to continue cleaning the bottom. (this is how the pros cleaned our two ponds at my
mothers this last spring). then refill with warmer water if possible, or fill as
much as you can with water matched to previous temperature, move the fish back in and
use lily pots with no drainage and good loam. even the fert tablets jammed down wont
leach out. I pick hand sized flat river rocks on the surface and fill in with pea
gravel to keep the koi from mucking around in the dirt. Ingrid

"*muffin*" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:24 PM
REBEL JOE

I plant mine in water basket wth only stone no dirt and they grow great.
The only thing I put in pond is M. of potash.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

muffin wrote: it said use a basket (like a clothes one with holes) line it with burlap,, &
plant the lily... it said it would give more 'air' to the roots & soil, so
you wouldn't get that yucky black smelly planting mix..
wellllllllllll.
seemed good idea.

It is a good idea, imo, ime, BUT, burlap rots, better is to use weed cloth
fabric. The cheap kind without root grow inhibitors. Line your basket, fill
with soil & plant. Make strips of the fabric, lay on top of the soil and
top with large river rock. Doing this keeps the soil in place when taking
plant in and out. I do plant many marginals just in rocks in baskets, but
if I want blooms I use my sandy soil.

As far as cleaning it up, I'm with Ingrid, only I'd use my shop vac over a
shovel. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~