Old 13-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Mike Miller

Default nitrate limited pond?

My 2 yr old pond still presents a conundrum. 500 gallons, full sun, z5,
readings always within range, ammonia and nitrate always read zero, never
any suspended algae, but SA, clear water, under my fish load, don't feed
them, lots of plants of all types, 75% coverage, K, iron and magnesium (low
in my area) added regularly, the K weekly along w/BZT.

But...

The marginals never grow well. The lilies I fertilize, and the WH seem
fine, but the irises, arrowroot, blue pickerel, equisetum (dwarf horsetail),
all in pots of clay + pebbles, never grow well. Leaves are puny, older
leaves yellow. I remember a thread a year or so ago about nitrate-limited
ponds and adding potassium nitrate, which can't be legally purchased in my
area. If these plants were in the soil, I'd say they're missing nitrogen.

Is there any other N source I could try out on the pond (carefully)? I
thought the growing goldfish population would change that this year, but it
didn't. Any suggestions?

Old 13-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Heather

Interesting question. I have the same problem except we have little sun so
attributed the problem to that.

So all you experienced PORGs - what is the optimum Nitrate / Nitrite levels?

My pond is 1800 gal
Nitrate and Nitrite are 0 to just tinted on the color scale
pH is 7.5 - 8
Ammonia 0
Fishload - 25 GF of which the biggest is 4 to 5"
Partial water change every three weeks
Water temp 65 to 70

Thanks,

Heather
SW Ontario (Zone 5)

Old 14-08-2003, 01:42 AM
zookeeper

Heather wrote:
Interesting question. I have the same problem except we have little sun so
attributed the problem to that ...

My pond is 1800 gal
Nitrate and Nitrite are 0 to just tinted on the color scale
pH is 7.5 - 8
Ammonia 0
Fishload - 25 GF of which the biggest is 4 to 5"
Partial water change every three weeks
Water temp 65 to 70

"Mike Miller" wrote ...

My 2 yr old pond ... 500 gallons, full sun, z5,
readings always within range, ammonia and nitrate always read zero, never
any suspended algae, but SA, clear water, under my fish load, don't feed
them, lots of plants of all types, 75% coverage, K, iron and magnesium
(low in my area) added regularly, the K weekly along w/BZT ...

Mike, what are your test results?
Heather, have you measured KH and/or GH? After I checked my KH and found
a really low amount, I've been adding baking soda over a two week
period. After just a few cups of baking soda, all of the pond plants
started growing and greening up.
Mike, is the "K" potash? I was planning to add potash to our pond, but
am holding off now until I can get the KH up to a better level.
--
Zk (sig. compliments of BV)

Old 14-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Mike Miller

Total specs, in hopes that someone thinks it's a nitrate problem and has an
answer. BTW, the nitrate-limited thread I was referring to is at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=la...aol.com&rnum=1

Anyway, 500 gallon pond, full sun, lots of plants mediocre circulation (for
now, will be improved).

nitrate = 0
ammonia = 0
pH = about 8.5 (tap water = 8.0)
KH = 180 (tap = 180)
GH = 250 (tap = 120)

....lots of rocks in pond, btw.

K in message referred to Potassium, in my case K sulfate. Sigh. Any ideas?

Old 14-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Sam Hopkins

Mike where do you live? Stump removers use potassium nitrate. It's found at
places like home depot and lowes.

Old 15-08-2003, 02:14 AM
john rutz

Sam Hopkins wrote:
..
adding potassium nitrate, which can't be legally purchased in my
area. If these plants were in the soil, I'd say they're missing nitrogen.

Potasium nitrate is available in gardend stores and can be found at home depot as water softener salt

I have a feeling who ever you asked that told you it was illegal was
confusing it with amonium nitrate ( which is a fertilizer used to make
explosives )

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 15-08-2003, 04:26 AM
Mike Miller

I live in Chicago, and remember looking last year for potassium nitrate
stump remover and could not find it - a pharmacy I asked said they could not
sell this because of its potential misuse. So I assumed it was not
available anywhere. I'll look again!

.. .

Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM
RichToyBox

"Mike Miller" wrote in message
The marginals never grow well. The lilies I fertilize, and the WH seem
fine, but the irises, arrowroot, blue pickerel, equisetum (dwarf

horsetail),
all in pots of clay + pebbles, never grow well. Leaves are puny, older
leaves yellow. I remember a thread a year or so ago about nitrate-limited
ponds and adding potassium nitrate, which can't be legally purchased in my
area. If these plants were in the soil, I'd say they're missing nitrogen.

If the marginals are planted in clay, then they need the fertilizer tabs,
since they cannot get the nutrients from the water readily. Take them out
of the clay, and just plant them in pebbles, so that the pond water is
readily available to them and they might do much better. I am having
problems this year with my iris, and a couple of years ago, I couldn't grow
pickerel, and for the last two years, parrots feather is weaker than it was.
I attribute this to the plants consuming some micronutrient from the pond,
until they won't grow anymore. This year the pickerel is doing fine. I
think it might be like the farmer having to rotate crops.
--
RichToyBox

Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM
K30a

A pond full of rotting plants and things go
gangbusters. The frog bog has almost filled
itself in and this year's plants are growing
like crazy. Even a lily in six inches of water,
more or less, has glossy green pads and lots
of flowers. All plants have filled in everywhere
growing even out into the lawn.
I have no idea how weeding the thing will go
this fall... or we may have a wet meadow next
year.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html