Old 17-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Bill

Default Veggie Filter Input ideas

What would be the best way to distribute the water input in a 500gal
veggie filter? The filter is 5'x6'x2' and I have plumbed in a 2' pipe
along one side 2" off the bottom. Also, I have installed a 3" bottom
drain.

My initial idea was to run 2" pipe along the bottom with 3\8" holes
drilling in to it. But because I run a open impaller pump, I'm
concerned that these will get clogged. Perhaps just a tee at input to
direct the water to the left and right?

Thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.

Bill
Old 17-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Pat Keith

I like the water to fall into the filter adding oxygen and sounds to my
yard.

Old 17-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

I think you are on target to avoid the small holes! You want the water to
move slowly through the pond (for bacterial cycle and settling) and to exit
on the opposite side from its entrance. A slow circle would provide a kind
of vortex, if it circulates all the way around. Otherwise, the tee would
distribute it nicely. Splash would be nice, but probably comes as the water
re-enters the pond (how does it do that?) Lots of plant roots will also
slow the flow to allow settling.

Your VF has about 450 gallons in it. How many gallons per minute are you
feeding to it? That will affect the settling time. Can you reduce the flow
into the VF and return part of your water over a falls?

Good luck.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
om...

Old 18-08-2003, 05:37 AM
Bill_in_PDX

Jim...

The water is going to flow out over a spillway to a stream and back to the
main pond. I have a diverter tee to feed the head of the stream. So yes, I
can adjust the flow to what I need. As far a gpm, not sure yet.

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message .. .
[...]

om...