Old 19-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Szpond

Default Oxygenator

After going through the power-outage worried to death about our pond, I must
buy a battery operated oxygenator. All I can find is a tiny one (around $13)
which is made for transporting your fish - don't think that would help much.

Is their a larger battery operated oxygenator available anywhere? Any other
"must haves" in case this happens again? Thanks for your help. Cathy
Old 19-08-2003, 03:32 PM

have you tried aquatic ecosystems?
you might think about a battery backup like for computers. it wont run for long.
for days you need a generator. Ingrid

(Szpond) wrote:
After going through the power-outage worried to death about our pond, I must
buy a battery operated oxygenator. All I can find is a tiny one (around $13)
which is made for transporting your fish - don't think that would help much.

Is their a larger battery operated oxygenator available anywhere? Any other
"must haves" in case this happens again? Thanks for your help. Cathy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 19-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Szpond

How big/deep is the pond?

4,500 gallons. 14'x12'
Old 19-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Szpond

How big/deep is the pond?

4,500 gallons. 14'x12'

Old 20-08-2003, 12:04 AM
Sam Hopkins

Unless you have like 25 full koi you dont have to worry about oxygen. You
have plenty of surface area for O2 to be absorbed.

Sam

"Szpond" wrote in message
How big/deep is the pond?

4,500 gallons. 14'x12'

Old 20-08-2003, 03:44 AM
Szpond

You
have plenty of surface area for O2 to be absorbed.

Sam,
So I don't have to worry about them? How long can they go without aeration? I
was a nervous hen, stirring water, using the leaf blower, etc. etc. Thanks,
Cathy
Old 20-08-2003, 03:44 AM
RichToyBox

I had two different models of the battery backup air systems from Aquatic
Eco, and though I think they have stopped handling them, I was very
disappointed. The pump mechanism went out in fairly short order, and they
were very expensive. I have one of their 110 volt pumps that I run large
air diffusers in two ponds off the one pump. I have had it for about 6
years and it has never missed a beat. This spring when my GFCI tripped
during a thunderstorm and I lost 7 koi, some small, some large, and the
battery backup was humming, but not pumping, I decided to make my own
battery backup. I got one of the power inverters from WallyWorld and the
largest automotive battery, power wise that I could find. I already owned a
battery charger, so now my air pump runs from the inverter, which is
connected to the automotive battery, which is on constant charge. If the
power goes out, my air pump will run about 18 hours, which gives me plenty
of time to see that I have to reset the GFCI, or start the generator. Push
come to shove, I could steal the battery out of one of my vehicles, and get
another 15 to 18 hours, or use the jumper cables from the lawn tractor to
recharge the battery.
--
RichToyBox

(Szpond) wrote:
After going through the power-outage worried to death about our pond, I

must
buy a battery operated oxygenator. All I can find is a tiny one (around

$13)
which is made for transporting your fish - don't think that would help

much.

Is their a larger battery operated oxygenator available anywhere? Any

other
"must haves" in case this happens again? Thanks for your help. Cathy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 20-08-2003, 03:44 AM
jammer

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:44:50 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

[...]

I can see the headline now:

Pond Guru Suspected As Ring Leader In City Wide Battery Thefts

Old 20-08-2003, 08:32 AM
Sam Hopkins

Well with a 14X12 pond you got 168 square feet of surface area. That's a
lot. One problem you'll want to watch for and I doubt with a pond that big
you'd see it anyways is if the power is off for a week and your pond is very
stagnant. A bacterial film will start to form on the top surface of the
water and interfere with the oxygen transfer.

Now like I said if you have 25 full sized koi and it's 110 outside you might
have issues.

The best way to know how you are doing is to go and buy an oxygen kit at
your local pet store or buy one online at:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=4565

Sam

Old 20-08-2003, 01:32 PM

yes, exactly. high temp means low dissolved oxygen and any kind of algae OR mulm on
the bottom means oxygen getting sucked out at night. even a couple airstones in one
area and the fish will find the area. Ingrid

"Hank" wrote:
Even with 4,500 gals., if the water temp. is high and you have a lot
of plants I would run a couple of air stone just as cheap insurance.
(especially at night when plants draw oxygen)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 20-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Andrew Burgess

"RichToyBox" writes:

I got one of the power inverters from WallyWorld and the
largest automotive battery, power wise that I could find. I already owned a
battery charger, so now my air pump runs from the inverter, which is
connected to the automotive battery, which is on constant charge. If the
power goes out, my air pump will run about 18 hours

Excellent DIY engineering!