Old 12-10-2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Oxygenator thinning

The oxygenating weed in my 1500 gallon pond is really taking over now. (I
think it's Canadian pondweed, Elodea.) When is a good time to remove some of
it? It's all rooted in the mulm at the bottom of the pond so it really
messes the water up when it's pulled out. How much should be in there
anyway? I don't have much plant life in there at the moment, just a couple
of waterlillies.
Thanks
Jas

Old 12-10-2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

when the temp of teh water out of the tap is the same as the water in the pond.
usually, pulling that much out it is a better idea to drain the pond, move the fish
and do a thorough cleanup. OTOH, I see no reason to remove the elodea. it
oxygenates in winter and certainly pulls ammonia out of the water. Ingrid

Old 12-10-2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Jas,

It is hard to respond without some more info. Could you tell us some
more about your pond, like
location
size
filtration
fish?

If you have good filtration and some sort of water re-entry, you
probably need little in the way of areators. If the fiah load is
light, you may need nothing.

If fall is hitting you, you may want to do your winter cleaning at the
same time you pull the extra elodea. How do you ddo your cleaning?

Jim

Old 13-10-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Anon" wrote in message
The oxygenating weed in my 1500 gallon pond is really taking over now. (I
think it's Canadian pondweed, Elodea.) When is a good time to remove some
of it? It's all rooted in the mulm at the bottom of the pond so it really
messes the water up when it's pulled out. How much should be in there
anyway? I don't have much plant life in there at the moment, just a couple
of waterlillies.

==================================
It sounds like your pond can use a drain down and cleaning. Mulm on the
bottom can be pretty foul and give off harmful gasses. I would wait until a
drain down is done. Remove all the mulm with a wet-dry shop vac. Keep some
of the healthiest looking Elodea, hose it off and toss it back in. I hope
you have some other form of aeration as these plants give off no oxygen at
night. Don't depend on them to supply aeration.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-10-2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thank you for the responses. I'm sorry that my original question was so
vague. I'm located on the south coast of England and the pond is about 1500
imperial gallons, has an approximate surface area of 122 sq feet, is approx
2.5 feet deep at it's deepest, is in full sun and is filtrated with an Oasis
Green to Clean gravity biofilter. It has goldfish only but is probably a bit
overstocked in all honesty.
The reason I want to remove some of the weed is that it's really taking over
and actually covers about 90% of the surface area of the pond so the fish
seem to only be able to congregate in one place!
I can see from your responses that the right thing to do is to drain the
pond and clean it properly. I can see the sense in this, especially as it's
about 20 years old and has never been cleaned out. (I'm not the original
owner of the pond, we moved here last year.) However, we have just had our
first child so most of my time is taken up with trying to be a good dad, so
my gardening and pondkeeping efforts are pretty basic at the moment.
I think that I really need to take some out some of the weed to give the
fish more room to swim, although obviously I want to keep a good amount for
oxygenating etc. I can't imagine that I'm going to have time to do a proper
clean out any time soon, so my main question is what time of year is best to
take some out? Especially considering it's going to disturb the mulm.
Thanks again,
Jasp

Old 14-10-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

Anon:

Your instincts are correct. Get a small tank for the fishes and connect the
filter to it temporarily. Then drain the pond, clean all the junk, scum,
detritus, and unmentionable crud out of there. If it has a liner, replace
it, since 20 years is about all you can expect from most liners. Once it's
spiffy, refill, let it sit for a few days/weeks to stabilize, and put the
fishies back in.

There's no subsitute for getting it cleaned out. No amount of horsing around
will be as effective.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Old 14-10-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

20 years... LOL, your pond may actually be 4 feet deep!!!
do set up a kiddie pool or something and fill it with pond water, then draw the pond
water down until the fish are almost flopping and gently, gently herd the fish with
one net into a stationary net and gently move them to the kiddie pool (with a good
aerator going). do not feed the fish for 3 days at least before moving them.

clean the pond out with plastic shovels and buckets, making sure there are no sharp
edges.

do this when the water temp coming out of the tap is the same as the water temp of
the pond. so there will be no temp shock when you put them back.

Ingrid

Old 15-10-2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"MLF" wrote in message
Anon:

Your instincts are correct. Get a small tank for the fishes and connect
the filter to it temporarily. Then drain the pond, clean all the junk,
scum, detritus, and unmentionable crud out of there. If it has a liner,
replace it, since 20 years is about all you can expect from most liners.
Once it's spiffy, refill, let it sit for a few days/weeks to stabilize,
and put the fishies back in.
There's no subsitute for getting it cleaned out. No amount of horsing
around will be as effective.

==================
I use a dechlorinator and put mine back the next morning unless the PH and
hardness are very different. In that case I drain down the "kiddy pool"
they're in for the cleaning (drain about 1/2 to 2/3s the water) and start
adding the new pond water slowly. By evening they go back into the pond with
no shock. There is no need to wait days or weeks. Also make sure the fish
have cover in the holding pool as some will "jump," unknowingly, to their
deaths.
--
RM....
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

Old 15-10-2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Anon" wrote in message
However, we have just had our first child so most of my time is taken up
with trying to be a good dad, so my gardening and pondkeeping efforts are
pretty basic at the moment.

New babies sleep most of the time. :-) Now is an excellent time to clean
out the pond. You can do it in one day with your wife's help, or in one
weekend by yourself. Plan on the entire weekend. You will still have time
to hold and feed the baby after sundown. The baby can nap in his/her
carriage as you work right out there in the fresh air.

I think that I really need to take some out some of the weed to give the
fish more room to swim, although obviously I want to keep a good amount
for oxygenating etc.

Don't depend on plants to oxygenate the water. They add nothing at night
and in fact themselves use oxygen after sundown. If the pond is overcrowded
now is a good time to cull them out and give the excess away.

I can't imagine that I'm going to have time to do a proper
clean out any time soon, so my main question is what time of year is best
to take some out? Especially considering it's going to disturb the mulm.
Thanks again,

Just remove most of the plant matter gently and toss it on the compost heap.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 21-10-2007, 02:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:33:57 CST, "Anon" wrote:

pond and clean it properly. I can see the sense in this, especially as it's
about 20 years old and has never been cleaned out. (I'm not the original
owner of the pond, we moved here last year.) However, we have just had our
first child so most of my time is taken up with trying to be a good dad, so
my gardening and pondkeeping efforts are pretty basic at the moment.

I'm going to make suggestions opposite of many. First I'd contact the old
owners and see when it was cleaned last time. Instead of pulling the
elodea, trim it with a scissors. Frees up space for the fish and doesn't
stir up the mulm.

Not sure of your circumstances, but I know when our babies where new, as
the mom, *I* really needed the break on the weekends whether baby was
sleeping or not, of having Dad close by, not knee deep in muck. Family
harmony is more important then pond harmony at this time, imho. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 26-10-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message

Not sure of your circumstances, but I know when our babies where new, as
the mom, *I* really needed the break on the weekends whether baby was
sleeping or not, of having Dad close by, not knee deep in muck. Family
harmony is more important then pond harmony at this time, imho. ~ jan

======================================
Of course all families are different and have different views, needs and
beliefs. I would have seen it as a way to do something together with my
husband, and as a break from just sitting inside the house with baby. Baby
would be right there in the action and fresh air. :-))

When my son was an infant I didn't feel I needed breaks from him. But by
the time he was 2 years old I couldn't wait for my parents to pick him up
and spirit him away for the weekend. By then I NEEDED a break from child
rearing. ;-)
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 26-10-2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Anon" wrote in message
Remind me never to ask you for parenting advice. ;-)

But thanks for the other answers though.

==========================
LOL!!!! Ok! Ok, ....so I was the kind of mother who had my child along as
we did everything around the house and yard. In those days of the mid 1960s
they highly encouraged parents to give the child as much fresh air as
possible. That may have changed. :-) Speaking of children, my son loved
sitting in one of those baby seats and watching the fish swim in the 20g
tank we had in the diningroom. He was just mesmerized by them. We always
had a house full of pets. Oddly enough, as an adult he has no interest in
pets of any kind.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Oxygenator Szpond Ponds 11 20-08-2003 04:02 PM
Auxillary power, was oxygenator DaBear Ponds 1 20-08-2003 03:44 AM
Thinning without Clear-cuttin Donald L Ferrt alt.forestry 1 19-02-2003 06:22 PM
Newbie: Pond In Need Of Some TLC! Oxygenator Everywhere! Dan Bowles Ponds 1 08-02-2003 03:11 PM
Forest Thinning Aozotorp alt.forestry 3 03-01-2003 01:29 AM