Old 20-08-2003, 03:44 AM

Default Tip

I haven't had much time to work on building my pond, but doing it all
by myself has led to a free helper. My reference point for leveling
the pond was a 2X2 driven into the ground, in what will be the middle
of the pond. A long, straight 2X4 was used, with a level attached to
mark the elevations around the perimeter. The 2X4 kept falling off the
2X2 as I moved the other end. I cut a slot into a piece of 4" PVC
pipe, wide enough (1 3/4") and long enough (about 4" long) to accept
the 2X4. The PVC pipe was about 10" long overall. When I inserted the
2X4, I put 2 wood screws through the PVC, and into the 2X4 to hold it
together. The PVC was slid over the top of the 2X2, the bottom of the
2X4 was resting on the 2X2, and I could now move anywhere I wanted
without the level falling off my reference point. Hopefully, someone
will find this helpful. I have a ways to go on the pond, so if anyone
has any other tips to share, that would be great!

Ed