Old 01-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Shepherd

Default Substitutes for Red Tip Photinia

I understand the Red Tip Photinias are prone to developing red spot and
should be avoided.

I have gone to several nurseries here in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex
trying to find some other plant that I can use as a formal hedge. All of the
nurseries I have gone to have the Red Tip and claim the ones they sell are
resistant to red spot and other diseases.

Are any of you aware of disease resistant varieties of the Red Tip, and if
not what plant would be a good substitute for a formal hedge that grows fast
and can be maintained at about ten feet?

Thanks,

Shepherd

Old 01-04-2003, 05:08 PM
paghat

In article ,
"Shepherd" wrote:

I understand the Red Tip Photinias are prone to developing red spot and
should be avoided.

I have gone to several nurseries here in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex
trying to find some other plant that I can use as a formal hedge. All of the
nurseries I have gone to have the Red Tip and claim the ones they sell are
resistant to red spot and other diseases.

Are any of you aware of disease resistant varieties of the Red Tip, and if
not what plant would be a good substitute for a formal hedge that grows fast
and can be maintained at about ten feet?

Thanks,

Shepherd

Stranvaesia has all the best traits & none of the worst traits of
photinia. Here's mine, which is the prostrate form:
http://www.paghat.com/stranvaesia.html
Unfortunately it can be hard to find. For hedge purposes you'd want
"undulata" and NOT "undulata prostrata," & for a tree form just the
regular species -- but when it turns up in nurseries it is almost always
the prostrate form.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 01-04-2003, 09:20 PM
animaux

Photinia fraserii is prone to fungal spots, P.chinensis is less prone, but still
prone. I would use a hedge of several different types of evergreen. Viburnum
'Spring Bouquet' V.burkwoodii, and rusty blackhaw viburnum. You should be able
to get those either at Northaven Garden Center www.nhg.com or Rhode's in Garland
www.beorganic.com

Old 02-04-2003, 02:56 AM
jammer

wrote:

I understand the Red Tip Photinias are prone to developing red spot and
should be avoided.

I have gone to several nurseries here in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex
trying to find some other plant that I can use as a formal hedge. All of the
nurseries I have gone to have the Red Tip and claim the ones they sell are
resistant to red spot and other diseases.

Are any of you aware of disease resistant varieties of the Red Tip, and if
not what plant would be a good substitute for a formal hedge that grows fast
and can be maintained at about ten feet?

Thanks,

Shepherd

I live in here too and i go to Wal-mart, loews, home depot. They
guarentee thier plants, they are not expensive, and they don't sell
plants that won't grow here.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 02-04-2003, 07:44 AM
gregpresley

You don't say how tall you want your hedge to be. For a low hedge, you could
plant boxwood. For a medium hedge, you could plant chinese holly. For a tall
hedge, you could plant carolina laurel, or viburnum tinus. All these should
do well in Dallas.
"Shepherd" wrote in message

I understand the Red Tip Photinias are prone to developing red spot and
should be avoided.

I have gone to several nurseries here in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex
trying to find some other plant that I can use as a formal hedge. All of

the
nurseries I have gone to have the Red Tip and claim the ones they sell are
resistant to red spot and other diseases.

Are any of you aware of disease resistant varieties of the Red Tip, and if
not what plant would be a good substitute for a formal hedge that grows

fast
and can be maintained at about ten feet?

Thanks,

Shepherd

[IMG] code is On

photinia red robin no longer produces red leaves Donmaico Gardening 1 10-08-2014 04:43 PM
Red Tip Photinia W[_2_] Gardening 7 08-04-2012 12:57 AM
Red-tipped photinia question Brian Anderson Texas 17 28-03-2004 09:13 PM
Photinia "Red Robin" - need advice! Debbie Gardening 7 26-03-2004 01:23 PM
Photinia 'Red Robin' question Martin C United Kingdom 2 13-02-2003 11:09 PM