Old 22-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Dale Long

Default New pond question

I was given a pre-formed pond (aprox. 5'x6'x18") and a Little Giant pump.
I would like to know if there are any web sites that could help me with
layout and design ideas.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Old 22-08-2003, 06:32 PM
K30a

This looks like a good page
that might have the information
you are looking for.
http://www.practical-water-gardens.c...ticleslist.htm

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 17-08-2004, 04:46 AM
Grubber

"Otto Pylot" wrote in message
We just redid our landscaping which included a pond in the backyard.
The pond itself is about 8'x10', and about 3' deep in the middle with a
6' waterfall which is about 41/2' tall. It's not a pre-formed pond but
"custom" dug with a plastic liner. The skimmer has a filter (non-UV)
and the waterfall has 3 filters including lava rocks. An automatic fill
valve is in place as well. The pond is about 4 weeks old now and the
problem is this:

The water is really green and murky. We had an algae bloom at first
which seems to have gone away and settled into a natural setting. Water
flow is nice and constant, no standing water, and we have been putting
in the Microbe-Lift as instructed on a weekly basis. Oxygen-producing
plants have been added as well as other aquatic plants. However, the
pond looks like something that the Creature From the Black Lagoon would
live in. We've added mosquito fish and a couple of gold fish as well to
balance it out in preparation of adding some koi. The pond does sit in
direct sun all day. Is there anything that we can do to clarify the
water or do we just have to wait and let nature run it's course? Are we
just being impatient? I don't want to add chemicals if I can help it.

--
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

My address has been anti-spammed.
Please reply to: replacing invalid with sonic.

Relax, you're still in algae bloom and will be for awhile. You might turn
off the auto-fill valve for a few days to make sure you aren't losing water
somewhere. Fresh tap water tends to green up the algae. Don't add
chemicals, add plants. Your current ones will eventually grow and help
shade the water, but that takes time too.

Your setup sounds just fine, but UV is OK if you aren't the patient type.