Old 25-08-2003, 10:02 PM
David Hahn

Default Veggie Filter????

Being new to ponding.... I see many people writing and asking about 'veggie
filters'. I understand what they now are but I am having problems locating
plans on how to build one nevertheless what size I would require.
Any help is appreciated...links,info etc.
My pond is 2000 gal. with a surface area of approx. 145 sqft. I have 18
goldfish ranging in size from 2" to 14".
What size filter will I need to make and what would be the best type plants
to put in it?

Thanks for the help
Dave
Havelock NC

Old 25-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Nedra

Hi David, A veggie filter is just another 'smallish' pond built
along side your existing pond. Figure 10% to 15% of the surface area of your
pond. Mine is built from landscape timbers & lined with Permalon.- measures
4 x 8 x 18 inches.
Oh yes, we did put sheets of
styrofoam in around the sides. I have a picture - of sorts-
on the first link below- its on the first page...
I had gravel in the filter to begin
with - BIG mistake. Now I just have water ;-)
Plants I use are Water Hyacinths, water celery &
iris planted in baskets of gravel... (notice I said Baskets of gravel.. )
I have a pump on the opposite side of the pond
with a hose attached - runs along the bottom of the pond
and up the back side of the veggie filter... then it nestles
down under a milk crate.
DO build in a drain so you can clean it easier.

Good Luck

Nedra

Main pond:
Lotus Pond:

. com...

Old 26-08-2003, 12:33 AM
K30a

My veggie filter is the top of my 150 gallon stock tank (3,000 gallon pond). It
is an upflow filter and the top 'layer' is water hyacinths. They get really
green and really tall!

here's the hint from the green water tips
~ Construct a veggie filter - an area, 10% to 20%, of the size of your pond
surface area. A couple of inches deeper than the plant baskets (the rigid black
mesh baskets made specifically for water plants) you are going to use to plant
in. Plant the baskets with marginal plants with fine gravel. Pump the pond
water through at a turnover rate per hour 1/2 to 1/4 of the pond volume. Veggie
filter uses up many of the nutrients and provides a good place for bacteria to
grow. Build it with a bottom drain (or two) for ease of cleaning - very
important or you'll end up with backups and leaking over the edge. Go here to
read a great description about how to build one
http://hometown.aol.com/k30a/myhomepage/garden.html

And BV has lots of recent experience with building a veggie filter.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Veggie Filter? Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
How to create a veggie filter inside a existing pond? John Ponds 3 13-04-2003 02:08 AM
Veggie Filter Plants Hey DJ Jeff Ponds 12 12-03-2003 08:11 PM
Uhh....guys, What the hell's on the veggie filter? DesertPond Ponds 9 12-03-2003 04:45 AM
Sun and the Veggie Filter BenignVanilla Ponds 1 30-01-2003 10:12 PM