Old 29-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Paul

Default Stocking suggestions

I have a 75 gallon tub which I will be setting up as a patio pond, I have
build a fluid bed filter with plans someone on the NG recommended, but now I
need to decide what to put in it. I want plants and a few fish.

Please suggest some flora and fauna combinations, I would like a Lilly and
thought either a few shubunkins or even White Cloud Mountain Minnows
(Tanichthys albonubes).

Paul

Old 29-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Andrew Burgess

"Paul" writes:

I have a 75 gallon tub which I will be setting up as a patio pond, I have
build a fluid bed filter with plans someone on the NG recommended, but now I
need to decide what to put in it. I want plants and a few fish.

Please suggest some flora and fauna combinations, I would like a Lilly and
thought either a few shubunkins or even White Cloud Mountain Minnows
(Tanichthys albonubes).

White clouds look very nice in a tank, not sure how much color you
can see from the top...

Rosy Reds are hardy, visible and active.

Mosquito fish, hardy, not as visible as rosys.

A single 2-3" koi and don't feed it so it won't outgrow the tub too fast.

Someone recently posted about a small container that overheated
so beware of that.

HTH

Old 30-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Sue Walsh

Andrew Burgess wrote in message ...
"Paul" writes:

I have a 75 gallon tub which I will be setting up as a patio pond, I have
build a fluid bed filter with plans someone on the NG recommended, but now I
need to decide what to put in it. I want plants and a few fish.

Please suggest some flora and fauna combinations, I would like a Lilly and
thought either a few shubunkins or even White Cloud Mountain Minnows
(Tanichthys albonubes).

White clouds look very nice in a tank, not sure how much color you
can see from the top...

Rosy Reds are hardy, visible and active.

Mosquito fish, hardy, not as visible as rosys.

A single 2-3" koi and don't feed it so it won't outgrow the tub too fast.

Someone recently posted about a small container that overheated
so beware of that.

HTH

I would not recommend a Koi in a 75 gallon tank, why start with a fish
that you know would be too large in a short time. Goldfish (one or
two only as they will breed) would be more in size for this set up.
Don't over feed them either so as not to overtax your filtration
system. As for the lily go online and look for some of the smaller
growers and they will do well in that size tank. I've had good
success with a water lily, and water iris in a barrel garden as well
as papyrus which can go really wild so keep an eye on it. all of
these are good growers so they help keep the algae down. Also add a
few under water oxygenators, I used anacharis. You do have to keep an
eye on the water temp in a small above ground unit. Mine heated up
pretty quickly but I live in Florida. Besides my pump running 24/7 I
added an air stone to make up for the lack of oxygen in the warmer
water. You can also fill a plastic milk container with water and
freeze it then float it in the pond to help offset some of the mid
summer heat. (I also used this idea with hot water in a few
containers for the winter cold nites, plus I wrapped the barrel in a
quilt on the few nites we had frost here for the last two winters, it
worked fine and all fish were OK). Post some pix when you get it up
and running.

Sue W

You can see my barrel garden on my pond album site "Rippling Waters"
under the construction album.

http://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd
Old 31-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Jerrispond

I have a 75 gallon tub

A single 2-3" koi and don't feed it so it won't outgrow the tub too fast.

PLEASE don't put a koi in a 75 gallon tub....it WILL get too big if you feed it
or not. I think 75 gallons would be too small to support a koi without food.
How about a coule of fancy goldfish about 2 or 3 of them ......Jerri

Old 31-08-2003, 06:32 AM
jammer

Ix nay on the oi kay
2 goldfish are about it for my 75 gallon monster. I gave away 8 or 9
babies that didn't get eaten by mom and dad and i have one that
survived and i will probably just keep it.....not sure yet. I dont
want to keep an off spring unless it's really cool looking. Good
reason to get rid of them while they are still brown....

I have creeping primrose, anacharis, taro, parrot feather, and water
celery. The rain and toadpoles took every last speck of azolla. The
roots have greatly deminished the space the fish have. I tried pulling
some out. I am thinking about making this pond cleaning weekend.

Good luck. When you are done maybe post pics?

Old 01-09-2003, 08:44 AM
Paul

No fear I will not be putting a Koi in 75gal that will have to wait
for the big pond some day.

Overheating shouldn't be a problem as I live in the UK and the pond
will be in shade half the day.

Thanks for the suggestions now i can begin stocking a planting.

Paul