Old 01-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Megan Wilson

Default Stocking Koi and Gold fish

I know its been siad over and over that you're supposed to have 1000 gal for
the ifrst koi and and 100 gal for each additional koi, but what is the water
to fish ratio for gold fish (big ones, like 3-7 inches right now). Also if i
put goldfish in there how would that affect the the koi to water ratio?
Thanks much!

-Megs

Old 01-08-2003, 02:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"Megan Wilson" wrote in message
I know its been siad over and over that you're supposed to have 1000 gal

for
the ifrst koi and and 100 gal for each additional koi, but what is the

water
to fish ratio for gold fish (big ones, like 3-7 inches right now). Also if

put goldfish in there how would that affect the the koi to water ratio?
Thanks much!

Megan, the key thing to remember here is that this 1000 gallon per koi
thing, is a thumb based rule. In theory you could keep a koi in a 10 gallon
tank if you kept the water clean enough. Of course she'd be more happy in a
swimming pool then a mason jar, but we're talking water quality, not
quantity.

With that in mind, having said that, etc...your fish load is dependant on
your filtration...so how big is your pond and what are your parameters like?

BV.

Old 01-08-2003, 03:35 PM
john rutz

Megan Wilson wrote:
I know its been siad over and over that you're supposed to have 1000 gal for
the ifrst koi and and 100 gal for each additional koi, but what is the water
to fish ratio for gold fish (big ones, like 3-7 inches right now). Also if i
put goldfish in there how would that affect the the koi to water ratio?
Thanks much!

-Megs

20 galons per goldfish
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 01-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Scott Teetsel

I saw a small "pond" yesterday in a store's window front, probably 1' x 2'
and 8" deep or so. They had 2 Koi in there. Very cramped. Shame.

Scott

Old 02-08-2003, 12:43 AM
Megan Wilson

Right now its all hypothetical, we're bringing in an excavator tomorrow to
dig the pond. i estimate it'll be about 3000 to 4000 gal. how big of a
filter do you think would be necessary? right now i have 4 5" koi and about
5 or 6 3"-7" goldfish that will be moved to the big pond (the one that's
getting dug right now)once its ready. I'd also like to get a few more fish
once the big pond is ready. Really i just like to pretend i'm planning
ahead.

Old 02-08-2003, 01:02 AM
K30a

We built a filter mech/bio/veggie in a 150 gallon stock tank for 3,000 gallons.
We keep our stocking low.

k30a

Old 04-08-2003, 02:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"Megan Wilson" wrote in message
Right now its all hypothetical, we're bringing in an excavator tomorrow to
dig the pond. i estimate it'll be about 3000 to 4000 gal. how big of a
filter do you think would be necessary? right now i have 4 5" koi and

about
5 or 6 3"-7" goldfish that will be moved to the big pond (the one that's
getting dug right now)once its ready. I'd also like to get a few more fish
once the big pond is ready. Really i just like to pretend i'm planning
ahead.

snip

Go Veggie, and have another body of water with 10-15% of the surface area of
your pond. Toss in Water Hyacinth, Frogbit and a few Iris for color. Stir
gently.

BV.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
LYNN FORRES

My koi breeder calculated that in my 700 gal pond, I could have 5 decent
sized koi, and 20-25 goldfish. Seems to be working so far. (?)

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Jerrispond

My koi breeder calculated that in my 700 gal pond, I could have 5 decent
sized koi, and 20-25 goldfish. Seems to be working so far. (?)

First I think your "breeder" is more interested in selling you fish than how
they do after they are in your ponds....by the way what is a "decent" sized
koi? TO me a decent dized koi is well over 1 foot more like 18 inches. I
hope you only got a few goldfsih, because next year after they spawn you will
have over 25 goldfish. Jerri