Old 05-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Registered User

Location: Isle of Wight
Question slime on my waterfall?

Hi everyone!

I just have a quick question. There is some green/black algae growing on the surface of my water fall. Although I do not mind this, as it makes the cheap plastic pre-formed thing look more natural, the slime seems to be covered in air bubbles. Is this good, bad or indifferent?

Thanks Julie
Old 05-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default slime on my waterfall?

You know it's funny. I have a concrete tank outside my front door curing. I
was looking at it the other day and noticed bubbles coming off of the algae.
The only other time I've seen something like this is in my planted aquarium
when the water became supersaturated with oxygen. This is a normal
occurrence in planted aquariums when the plants are producing so much oxygen
that no more oxygen can be absorbed into the water. So what you see is
bubbles coming off of the plant leaves.

s.com...

--
juliepacker

Old 05-09-2003, 04:02 PM
John Burton

Does this mean my waterfall is working really REALLY well??

(I hadn't noticed these bubbles until Julie's post, but went out and looked
at mine and saw bubbles too!)

--
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

john burton
Bach 50B3
Bass Trombone, Charleston NeoPhonic Orchestra
South Charleston, West Virginia

.. .

Old 05-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Sam Hopkins

It'd be my first guess by what I've seen in my aquariums. In aquariums when
the lights go out the plants stop producing O2 and the bubbles stop. You
could porbably wait until night and see if they are still producing bubbles
or go and buy an O2 test kit at the petstore and test. I'll test my tank
that's outside with an O2 test kit when I get home.

Sam