Old 05-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Bette E.

Default 2 many fish

It's getting late in the season and I have way too many goldfish to
winter over in my 16 by 8 by 2 foot deep pond, here in mid Ohio. They
are cunning and have so far, have mostly escaped my attempts to catch
them.
I have 8 lg. 10 inch fish, and 40 or so, somewhere between fry and 5
inches.
# 1. Is it too late to drain down to 6 or 8 inches of water and try to
net them?
# 2. Will this upset the biological balance of the pond for the winter
months, when I refill it?
With all the rainfall and numerous health problems this summer, it got
away from me.
Thanks for any info.
Bette

Old 06-09-2003, 04:02 PM
dkat

I don't suppose you have a great many trash cans or such that you can pump
the water into from emptying the pond that you can then pump back into the
pond after the fish are caught? This is going to be stressful to the fish
no matter what you do I imagine. Is the pond one that you could put a
fairly large size of window screening in (giant net) that the fish will have
a harder time escaping from? I had to move two koi from my upper pond to
the lower one when the became too large to be happy in the smaller area.
They were slimy (literally and figuratively) devils... I ended up partially
emptying the pond and using a large piece of netting. It was still
difficult but doable. DK

Old 06-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Chagoi

Bette E. wrote:

It's getting late in the season and I have way too many goldfish to
winter over in my 16 by 8 by 2 foot deep pond, here in mid Ohio. They
are cunning and have so far, have mostly escaped my attempts to catch
them.
I have 8 lg. 10 inch fish, and 40 or so, somewhere between fry and 5
inches.
# 1. Is it too late to drain down to 6 or 8 inches of water and try to
net them?
# 2. Will this upset the biological balance of the pond for the winter
months, when I refill it?
With all the rainfall and numerous health problems this summer, it got
away from me.
Thanks for any info.
Bette

Go to your local Wall mart. k-mart or any discount store that has
pool supplies and find your self a CHEAP self supporting kiddie pool.
( non-inflatable) They should be on "clearance " now.

I bought a 8' X 18" kiddie pool at Wal-Mart for $15.83. (regular price)
it holds about 500 gal.

A 10' diameter. tank holds about 850 gal. and a 12' diameter holds about
1250 gal.

It's also cheap and easy insurance if something goes wrong with the main
pond.

I 'm using mine to temp. keep 4 - 14"-16" butterfly koi and 7 - 6"-10"
reg. koi,
while I get the new 8000 gal. pond finished. I will store it, and use
it as a back up pond,

I Know, I Know: I'm "over stocked"

Lots of plants: 6 Canna, 2 pond rush, sweater algae. Anacharis,
duckweed, azola,
string algae on TT, 5 waterlillies, 15+ cattails.
Filter system:
Pump Chamber: 1800GPH pump, 1.5 cu.ft bio-media
Vortex chamber/ VF: 4sq.ft surface covered w/ 6-30" tall WH + 8 smaller WH
w/over the side, fed, bottom filter
Bio-Mech Filter: Tetra TF-3 @ 600 GPH
Bio - VF up flow Filter: 3cu.ft. Bio-Media topped by 3sq. ft. of Iris @
500GPH
TT w/dome fountain head @ 300GPH w/ 6 cu.ft. hiding area for the koi.

YES! all this in a 500 gal. kiddie pool !!!

Chagoi

Old 07-09-2003, 02:05 AM
RichToyBox

Easiest way to catch them is with a minnow trap, or similar homemade trap.
It is less stressful on you, your plants, and the fish. Stress is defined
as finding out the gold fish are smarter than you.
--
RichToyBox

"Bette E." wrote in message
It's getting late in the season and I have way too many goldfish to
winter over in my 16 by 8 by 2 foot deep pond, here in mid Ohio. They
are cunning and have so far, have mostly escaped my attempts to catch
them.
I have 8 lg. 10 inch fish, and 40 or so, somewhere between fry and 5
inches.
# 1. Is it too late to drain down to 6 or 8 inches of water and try to
net them?
# 2. Will this upset the biological balance of the pond for the winter
months, when I refill it?
With all the rainfall and numerous health problems this summer, it got
away from me.
Thanks for any info.
Bette

CHerokee Purple Tomato-Twisted many many lobed fruit with odd scars DigitalVinyl Gardening 4 02-08-2005 02:22 PM
How many koi is too many koi Carl Beyer Ponds 16 17-08-2003 12:04 AM
Japanese Snails - How Many is too many? Sean R. Kerns Ponds 2 24-06-2003 02:56 PM
Too Many Fish JGW Ponds 20 16-06-2003 10:56 PM
So many fish dying Smith Ponds (alternative) 4 15-06-2003 08:56 AM