Old 05-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Jerrispond

Default turtle question....

I saw a wonderful female red eared slider at the petshop. The question
was....will they winter over in a zone 7 pond. the answer was....I don't
know, but it will run away the first day.....They should be kept in an aquarium
in the house.....I thought maybe a male would but not a female...how about if I
bought a pair? would they need supplamental food if there is plenty of small
fish and plants? How would they do with koi....I thought they might eat those
pesky minnows. Oh I also have a huge channel cat in there. the turtles
shell was about as big as my hand when I open it as wide as it will go.
with my luck it will only eat the baby koi and not the minnows....thats ok
about the koi I had a bumper crop this year Darn....I really wanted one or two
of those turtles...but not if they run away Jerri

Old 06-09-2003, 12:12 AM
joe

Jerrispond wrote:

I saw a wonderful female red eared slider at the petshop. The question
was....will they winter over in a zone 7 pond. the answer was ...I don't

know

I don't know the answer to that either. I believe they will hibernate in the
bottom if it doesn't freeze, but I'll try to find that our for sure.

, but it will run away the first day.....

I have heard from others that they may do so. Mine has stayed put for 8
months. Is the yard fenced?

They should be kept in an aquarium in the house.....

That is a lot of work. You have to do a large amount of water changes - they
poop large quantities.

I thought maybe a male would but not a
female...how about if I bought a pair?

Ours is a male and nearly killed the (much) smaller buddy we bought for him.
He is now alone and seems pretty pleased about it. If you get two, make sure
they are about the same size.

would they need supplamental food if
there is plenty of small fish and plants?

Yes, they need to be fed, but seem pretty happy with Koi pellets. There is
also turtle pellets which I seem to remember as having less protein. I have
come to the conclusion that the only fish a RES will catch is one that is
already dead. I have a couple of Oscars in my pond for mosquito fish
control. They stay put right in front of him at feeding time and he just
stares helplessly. Maybe mine is just a wimp.

How would they do with koi....

Fine

thought they might eat those pesky minnows.

Couldn't catch one on his best day.

Oh I also have a huge channel
cat in there. the turtles shell was about as big as my hand when I open it
as wide as it will go. with my luck it will only eat the baby koi and not
the minnows....thats ok about the koi I had a bumper crop this year Darn....I
really wanted one or two of those turtles...but not if they run away Jerri

Yeah, the run away part is a biggie. As I said, ours seems to stay put, but
I wouldn't want to be the one to guarantee that. On the other hand, he is
very interesting, and with enough contact with you, pretty tame.

Joe

Old 06-09-2003, 12:22 AM
joe

Yes, that's a great suggestion. There should be a rescue group somewhere in
your area/state. Lots of people buy them for their kids and then when they
have to do all the work.... Well, you know how that is.

Joe

wrote:

I saw a wonderful female red eared slider at the petshop. The question
was....will they winter over in a zone 7 pond. the answer was....I
don't know, but it will run away the first day.....They should be kept in

Next spring, contact a reptile rescue organization in your area, and see
if they have any turtles of native species that need homes. That way, if
it decides not to stick around and looks for greener pastures, no harm is
done to the environment.

Old 06-09-2003, 01:04 AM
Mickey

My sliders do live in an aquarium and I can tell you this. They love to be
fed turtle pellets and are pigs about it. When you walk up to the tank to
feed them they are like Koi begging for food. Mine will eat out of your
hand. As for running away that is up to the turtle if he like his new home
he will stay if not he will head for greener pastures, swamps, ponds or
where ever turtles go. They can't catch anything unless it is dead or slower
than it is. A fish would definitely win the race. They are very interesting
to watch. I agree about contacting a local organization, breeds of Red Eared
Sliders can be found just about everywhere.