Old 12-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Irv Slater

Default heron

has anyone dealt with heron and have you had any luck???

Old 12-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Bonnie

Irv Slater wrote:
has anyone dealt with heron and have you had any luck???

Since I installed a Scarecrow, I've had no herons visit
my pond. No groundhogs either (they use to eat the water
celery in my veggie filter).

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 12-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Sam Hopkins

We usually just kill them.... Hahah. Just kidding. There's plenty of ways.
The easiest is setting up a scarecrow and you move it around every so often.
The hardest/most annoying is setting up wildlife netting over the pond.
There's also motion detecting sprinklers and motion detecting sirens. They
are protected by law. But then again almost 9 out of 10 of the birds out
there are protected.

Sam

Old 12-09-2003, 02:42 PM
FBCS

After loss of almost all my fish twice, I finally listened to these wise
people and applied Netting. All have survived since. I use plant stakes,
like for peonies, that keep the net about 18" above the pond then secure the
bottom with rocks. Joann

Old 12-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Neil Law

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:57:34 GMT, "Irv Slater"
wrote:

has anyone dealt with heron and have you had any luck???

Got to agree with the others, netting has worked the best for me. I use a thin,
relatively cheap plastic netting that does enough to dissuade them.

Old 12-09-2003, 04:33 PM
K30a

The labrador girls and I scared away our heron over a period of a day. It never
came back (that we know of).
Here are a few methods:
Heron tips:
- netting over the pond.
- put in an electric fido fence
- a motion activated sprinkler
- Migratory Bird Act forbids lethal methods,
heavy fines and jail time take away from pond time ;-)

good luck!
k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 12-09-2003, 11:43 PM
FBCS

I see K30a is back at her job, remind us there is a fine for killing the
menace. Hope you are doing well. Joann

Old 13-09-2003, 12:06 AM
K30a

Joann wrote Hope you are doing well

One day at a time. :-)

Old 16-09-2003, 10:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Scarecrow sprinkler http://www.km01.com/scarecrow.html
installed on both my ponds also, even kept the dang robins from pulling the
moss & mint out of my cement blocks. ) ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

Old 17-09-2003, 02:33 AM
ponder

Also putting fishing line up through the empty spaces so that they can't
land, they need a 6 foot open area.

Old 18-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Gregory Young

Hey Irv..
Come to a pond meeting, and we can discuss it further..
hehe.. I couldn't resist.. you can never tell who you will run into in this
newsgroup can you??!
Happy ponding,
Greg (your NFKPC president!)

Help for Heron Szpond Ponds 12 19-10-2003 02:02 AM
Heron alert! Don Ponds 8 30-05-2003 08:33 PM
Heron! ~ jan Ponds 6 06-05-2003 02:22 AM
Heron Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 1 30-04-2003 05:08 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM