Old 12-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Dennis

Default swimming pool heater for pond

Has anyone ever used a swimming pool (propane) heater for a koi pond?
Can you see any problems with using one? I am trying to heat 10,000
gallons.
Thanks
Dennis
Old 13-09-2003, 01:02 AM
RichToyBox

Be careful of the metal in the heat exchanger. For swimming pools, I think
they use copper. Copper is the best at heat transmission. But copper is
toxic to fish. Use titanium or stainless steel heat exchangers. I know
several that have used natural gas and one that used propane. The one using
the propane stopped mid season due to cost, but he didn't cover his pond
either. I would recommend building some form of cover over the pond, tent,
lean-to, hoop house, greenhouse, or something to insulate the pond from the
cold and wind. Hot ponds cause steam to rise off the surface and that is
evaporation, and evaporation is on of the best forms of refrigeration that
you can find, so not having a cover causes serious heat loss.
--
RichToyBox

m...

Old 13-09-2003, 05:02 AM
Axolotl

"RichToyBox" wrote in

You could try the idea below. I have tried it, but I cannot tell if it
makes any difference as during the winter I normally disconnect my pumps
from the waterfalls and filter and run them both flat out through
standpipes that are about 18 inches above the pond. This keeps the water
moving and keeps the O2 levels up. Unfortunately, it did not work last
year when water got in the pump electrical circuit and both pumps were
disabled; the pond froze completely, killing all my fish and damaging the
liner. I had not dropped the water level as I had not been able to
winterize as I was laid up with a bad back.

Allow a layer of ice to form, about 2 inches thick, and the drop the
water level creating a 1 - 2 inch air gap. The air gap would act as an
insulating blanket that might keep the water below from freezing. If you
run a pump to circulate the water, there is a small heating effect that
keeps the water a little above freezing.

You should make a hole in the ice to allow any toxic gases to escape. The
best way of making a hole is to melt one using a pan filled with hot
water. DO NOT make one by breaking the ice as the shock wave through the
water might injure your fish. Add a bubbler to keep the oxygen levels up.

I only suggest this as the result of an article I read some time back. I
do not remember what the article was about nor do I have a reference, I
have a feeling that it was something to do with beavers.

Anybody got any comments on the idea, good or bad.
AXO

--
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's
too dark to read."

Old 13-09-2003, 05:12 PM

drilling with a spade bit makes nice 1-2 inch holes. for bigger holes, try a
reciprocating saw. Ingrid

Axolotl wrote:
You should make a hole in the ice to allow any toxic gases to escape. The
best way of making a hole is to melt one using a pan filled with hot
water. DO NOT make one by breaking the ice as the shock wave through the
water might injure your fish. Add a bubbler to keep the oxygen levels up.

I only suggest this as the result of an article I read some time back. I
do not remember what the article was about nor do I have a reference, I
have a feeling that it was something to do with beavers.

Anybody got any comments on the idea, good or bad.
AXO

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

pond as swimming pool Reel McKoi Ponds 0 19-03-2005 10:00 PM
Swimming pool filter, any use for a pond Roy Ponds 3 08-09-2004 05:40 AM
Swimming pool filter, any use for a pond Roy Ponds 1 06-09-2004 12:26 AM
WTB: Swimming Pool - need crew to install pool in ground GeneS Texas 1 21-06-2004 11:08 PM
Pool Pump Cover (was Swimming pool filter/pump question) Raymond Luxury-Yacht Lawns 0 15-05-2003 07:56 PM