Old 13-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Ted

Default Lilly Propagation

Has anyone heard of propagating some types of lillies from their leaves? I
noticed a guy at a local pond store removing some good leaves. I asked him
what he was doing and he explained that some lillies produce a white node on
the top of the leaf. The other side is where the stem attaches. He said if
you remove the leave and turn it upside down in the water it will form a new
water lilly. I notice one of my tropicals had them and have just tried it.
But I was wondering if there was anything else involved.

--
o_o_o_o
/| ,[_____],
|ŻŻŻL --O|||||||O-
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻŻŻ )_)

Thanks,
Ted

Old 14-09-2003, 02:08 AM
RichToyBox

Ted,

Viviparous Tropical Lilies
Some tropical lilies are viviparous ('live-bearing'), and only the species
N. micrantha and its hybrids are viviparous.

Autumn is the season where viviparous growth is produced. The growths are
located at the point where the stem joins the leaf and are evidenced by a
'growth' or bump at that point. This growth will produce from one to several
genetically identical plants, and it is not uncommon for these growths to
produce several plants which should be separated if possible.

Simply float these leaves in 75 to 80 degree water until the new leaves and
roots develop (try floating them upside down), then pot and grow through the
winter in bright light as you would a tuber sprout. In June plant in a two
gallon pot and place in your pond and enjoy,

The above was copied from
http://www.colowatergardensociety.or...allilies.html.
--
RichToyBox

"Ted" wrote in message
.. .
Has anyone heard of propagating some types of lillies from their leaves? I
noticed a guy at a local pond store removing some good leaves. I asked

him
what he was doing and he explained that some lillies produce a white node

on
the top of the leaf. The other side is where the stem attaches. He said

if
you remove the leave and turn it upside down in the water it will form a

new
water lilly. I notice one of my tropicals had them and have just tried

it.
But I was wondering if there was anything else involved.

--
o_o_o_o
/| ,[_____],
|ŻŻŻL --O|||||||O-
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻŻŻ )_)

Thanks,
Ted

Old 16-09-2003, 02:05 AM
ponder

This is a way to propagate some tropical lilies. It is called "Viviparous"
propagation. It usually works but takes a long-time

Ted wrote in message
.. .
Has anyone heard of propagating some types of lillies from their leaves? I
noticed a guy at a local pond store removing some good leaves. I asked

him
what he was doing and he explained that some lillies produce a white node

on
the top of the leaf. The other side is where the stem attaches. He said

if
you remove the leave and turn it upside down in the water it will form a

new
water lilly. I notice one of my tropicals had them and have just tried

it.
But I was wondering if there was anything else involved.

--
o_o_o_o
|ŻŻŻL --O|||||||O-
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻŻŻ )_)

Thanks,
Ted

Hardy Pond Lilly Propagation Chester Deja Ponds 9 15-05-2006 10:28 AM
Germinating Canna Lilly Seed Larry Stoter United Kingdom 7 01-08-2005 12:00 PM
Hardy Pond Lilly Propagation ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 2 14-08-2004 07:25 AM
Pygmaea Lilly not Flowering larrys United Kingdom 13 22-08-2003 09:32 AM
UK lILLY REQUEST K Ponds (alternative) 0 23-03-2003 04:20 PM