Old 19-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Lynn Strickland

Default UV Questions

Aside from the question, "UV or not UV" . . .

Does the UV source go on your pump outlet line, so that all of the pond
water passes through it?

I see 'clarifiers' of about 7 Watts, for a 1500 gallon pond, and
'sterilizers' of about 40 Watts for a 1500 gallon pond. What's the diff?

Seems like it would reduce the pump flow if you run it in-line with the pump
outlet - is this a problem?

Thanks!

Old 19-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Sam Hopkins

It takes a certain amount of UV to kill an organism. Each organism is
different. So green water algae might need 7 watts for 1 second to be killed
while ich might need 7 watts for 10 seconds to be killed. When the organism
flies through the UV filter it goes through at a determined rate - 1500
gallons per hour in your example. It may not receive enough UV to kill it by
going through that fast. If you up the wattage the organism receives more UV
on it's way through. When they say "Clarifier" they mean that it'll kill
most algae but other organisms like ich will survive. "Sterilizer" means
it'll kill almost anything that passes through it. Not if you slowed that 7
watt 1500 gallon UV filter down to 262 gallons per hour it'd be a sterilizer
because the organism would receive the same amount of UV because it'd travel
through the UV slower.

Sam

nk.net...

Old 19-09-2003, 09:30 PM
joe

Lynn Strickland wrote:

Seems like it would reduce the pump flow if you run it in-line with the pump
outlet - is this a problem?

Yes, probably. I have an 80 watt UV that is inline. I need to re-plumb stuff
over the winter and Ingrid gave me a good idea, which is to have the UV on
an entirely separate line with it's own (slower) pump.

I turned my UV off around June and haven't had a problem (San Diego) so I
like the idea of having it off line when not in use.

Joe

Old 19-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Lynn Strickland

Joe -

I'm in San Diego also (Oceanside). You find that you don't need the UV in
summer? Due to plant cover?

I may pursue the separate pump idea.

Thanks

Old 19-09-2003, 11:38 PM
joe

Lynn

Yes. My pond is one year old and when I look at pictures from last year I'm
amazed at the plant growth. I have a veggie filter full of stuff and a lot
of my surface area is covered with lilies. I also tried barley straw a
couple of months ago. I turned off the UV because I figured if the algae
came back I could just turn it back on again.

I like the separate pump idea because, as others in this thread have stated,
if you move the water through slower, more stuff gets zapped.

Joe