Old 27-09-2003, 07:02 PM
FBCS

Default 'Veggie' Filter

That would be a nice idea for a OT tank. Great idea using the bird bath.
Joann
"news.wirelessfrontier.net" wrote in message
my pond, a 300 gal stock tank, has a birdbath filled with watercress. the
pump lifts water up through the hollow pedestal to the bowl. it feeds the
watercress and then overflows and aerates the water.
mad
--
See my zone 8B pond:
http://community.webshots.com/album/14478479WdPMkPBPmt

From: "Dave Hahn"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:28:19 GMT
Subject: 'Veggie' Filter

I need some information on what a 'veggie filter' should be. Some say

that
the surface area should be 10 - 20% of your pond. Others say that it

should
be 10 - 20% of the pond volume. Which is correct.
Also some say not to use lava rocks, others say it's okay.
What about water flow? How many gph should it have?
Should the pond water enter from the top or the bottom?

Here is what I think I am going to do:
Pond size = 1600 gallons
'Veggie Filter' = 225 gallons (2x10x1.5)
GPH Flow = 400
Pond water will enter from the bottom and cascade out the top like a
waterfall.

Will this work?

Old 28-09-2003, 04:32 AM
news.wirelessfrontier.net

thanks. it seems to work really well. in the winter i take the round mat of
watercress and put it down in the main pond where it winters over. i cover
the pond with plastic and add an airstone after i turn off the pump. of
course we don't have terrible winters out here in far southwest texas, but
it does get down to the 20s at night for about a month.
mad
--
Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?
George Carlin

Old 28-09-2003, 06:42 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Another filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

Click on *My Filter* for a diagram, *Demon Pond Filter* for more pictures
and *My Lilypond* for plumbing under liner. I put Whyacinths in the
pre-filter barrel, all barrels are in the ground with only 2" showing.
Connected they take up less than a 4'X4' space. ~ jan
Old 01-10-2003, 04:43 PM
D Kat

My guess is that I heard the advice from you so if I didn't thank you then,
I thank you now. It really has made the pond care free.
DKat

"Jerrispond" wrote in message
). It was here that I heard about using lava rocks.

I have been using lava rocks in my veggie filters for almost 10 years, and
still love them. I only clean the gunk off the bottom and the rock every

2
years, and the main ponds every 5 years.....this is my only sorce of

filter
Jerri

Old 03-10-2003, 03:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message

Don't use lava rock.
The veggie filter will catch 'gunk' and the lava rock will be very hard to
clean.

My veggie filter is as simple as floating water hyacinths at the top of my
upflow mech/bio filter.
Things grow like crazy and I have to watch they don't plug the outlet.

Bonnie has a good veggie filter and pictures.
So does BV. Hope they catch this and post their
plans.

One of these days, I'll post pictures...but not until the construction is
done. The area looks like $#^@& right now. Here is a synopsis though.

I have approx. a 3000 gallon pond, with a bottom drain. The bottom drain
empties into the VF, so my VF us gravity fed. My VF was unfortunately built
uphill from the pond, so I had a lot of liner showing. To resolve this, I
built a sandbag wall covered in stone across the VF. So water gravity feeds
to the lower VF, which contains water iris. A 1000GPH pump pushes water to
the otherside of the wall in the VF, which rises up, hides my liner, and
then overflows to a stream which flows back into the main pond. As this was
an afterthought, I also have a 4'' PVC pipe that runs under the stream. A
small amount of water flows through there.

In my upper VF, I have nothing but Water Hyacinth. They are massive now, and
my water (when I STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN POND) is gin clear. The roots of
the WH are constantly coated in muck, and periodic squeeze (away from the
pond) of the roots, will remove tons of goo from the pond itself. The
multi-level VF, also helps with settleage.

Does that help?

BV.

Old 03-10-2003, 08:25 PM
dt

BenignVanilla wrote:

"K30a" wrote in message

[...]

Just curious; with a bottom drain into the lower VF, what happens if the
power or the pump goes out?

DT

Old 04-10-2003, 12:20 AM
BenignVanilla

"dt" wrote in message
snip
Just curious; with a bottom drain into the lower VF, what happens if the
power or the pump goes out?

I lose circulation, and potentially my main pond would overflow about 1/2-1
inch of water as the bigger VF area drains down into the lower. I used to
have a check valve in place at the in-flow of the VF, but I recently took it
out.

BV.

Old 04-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Hal

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:35:24 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

I lose circulation, and potentially my main pond would overflow about 1/2-1
inch of water as the bigger VF area drains down into the lower. I used to
have a check valve in place at the in-flow of the VF, but I recently took it
out.

My pump picks up from the filter, fed by the bottom drain and pumps to
the VF.
I drilled a 5/32" hole in the inlet pipe at about a 45 degree angle
to the flow just above the waterline of the VF. Works like a ventura
and allows a bit of air to enter the flow of water while the pump is
running and stops the siphon/backflow when the pump shuts down. I
have 1 1/2" black plastic pipe and 1800gph pump.

Regards,

Hal

Veggie Filter? Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
How to create a veggie filter inside a existing pond? John Ponds 3 13-04-2003 02:08 AM
Veggie Filter Plants Hey DJ Jeff Ponds 12 12-03-2003 08:11 PM
Uhh....guys, What the hell's on the veggie filter? DesertPond Ponds 9 12-03-2003 04:45 AM
Sun and the Veggie Filter BenignVanilla Ponds 1 30-01-2003 10:12 PM