Old 08-10-2003, 02:27 AM
Carl Beyer

Default Fish psychology help

Ifound a 1.5" chubunkin baby in one of my fountains (long story). It
has been living by itself in a small container since its hatch.

I am planning on introducing it to my (small 400 gallon) pond that is
overstocked with 8 goldfish (4 to 6") and a 18" koi and 12" koi.

Is it big enough to go in to that pond without becoming lunch? It seems
healthy and fast, but I have yet to see it eat any fish food offered to
it. Any other concerns?

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 08-10-2003, 02:43 AM
Gail Futoran

"Carl Beyer" wrote in
message
Ifound a 1.5" chubunkin baby in one of my fountains (long

story). It
has been living by itself in a small container since its

hatch.

I am planning on introducing it to my (small 400 gallon)

pond that is
overstocked with 8 goldfish (4 to 6") and a 18" koi and

12" koi.

Is it big enough to go in to that pond without becoming

lunch? It seems
healthy and fast, but I have yet to see it eat any fish

food offered to
it. Any other concerns?

Any plants they can hide in? (Probably not, with koi.) I'd
also be concerned about competing for food, especially if
there are no plants or algae for grazing, and the larger
fish will get the live food (bugs, larvae). Maybe you can
get the baby used to commercial food first.

I have a baby goldfish and a baby shubunkin (about 2" each)
that I thought were minnows. (The minnows were in with
goldfish until I moved them into their own tank.) I tend
not to feed the minnows - they do all right on their own.*
Once I recognized the baby goldfish I started feeding them
presoaked TetraPond Variety Sticks. They got used to that
and will now eat it every day. They're growing like weeds.

Gail
Southcentral TX
*Oh, ok, I confess, I sometimes feed the minnows too, just
because I like to watch them.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Charles

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:08:53 -0700, Carl Beyer
wrote:

Ifound a 1.5" chubunkin baby in one of my fountains (long story). It
has been living by itself in a small container since its hatch.

I am planning on introducing it to my (small 400 gallon) pond that is
overstocked with 8 goldfish (4 to 6") and a 18" koi and 12" koi.

Is it big enough to go in to that pond without becoming lunch? It seems
healthy and fast, but I have yet to see it eat any fish food offered to
it. Any other concerns?

Carl

At an inch and a half I would say there is no problem, at least with
the goldfish, I don't know about koi.

I have a bunch of babies in my little pond each year, the bigger
goldies eat most of the eggs, and I believe they will eat the newly
hatched fish while they are still clinging to the sides of the
container. Once the little ones start swimming like fish, at about
3/4 inches, the big ones seem to leave them alone. They also seem to
find enough to eat, they grow. I have been adding some sinking food
just after I feed the floating food to the adults, some remains on the
bottom for a few minutes and the smaller fish get at least a chance.
--

- Charles
-

psychology of flower show attraction. a.c. United Kingdom 2 31-05-2005 12:25 PM
Fish psychology help Carl Beyer Ponds 0 08-10-2003 02:25 AM
Take part in psychology study on honesty PsychStudyNYU sci.agriculture 2 26-04-2003 12:31 PM
Take part in psychology study on honesty PsychStudyNYU sci.agriculture 2 07-04-2003 06:56 PM
For the older ponders...In Defense of Psychology! D Kat Ponds 0 27-01-2003 09:10 PM