Old 11-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Cin1754

Default covering for the fall

We are having trouble finding a way to keep our pond covered with screen for
the autumn months. Any screen continues to slide into the water, and then I
have difficulty pulling it up with all the weight of the leaves. Any
suggestions?
Old 11-10-2003, 09:22 PM
K30a

If possible make a tent shaped pvc arrangement
and attach the screening to that.

k30a

Old 11-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Bonnie

Cin1754 wrote:
We are having trouble finding a way to keep our pond covered with screen for
the autumn months. Any screen continues to slide into the water, and then I
have difficulty pulling it up with all the weight of the leaves. Any
suggestions?

Hi,
I use pvc pipe to elivate the netting. You can sometimes
make a tentlike structure with pvc and then put the netting
over it.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 12-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Brad Stamm

This works to cover the pond with plastic, a less intense version would work
with screen:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~rbstamm/koidome.htm
Brad

Old 12-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Heather

We had a roll of 1 1/4" black pipe. We cut sections long enough to go over
the width of the pond and still leave a curve in the pipe. We drove rebar
into the ground about a foot or so from the edge so as not to pierce the
liner and stuck the ends of the pipe over the rebar.

Each pipe was 2 to 3 feet from the next. The rebar holds the pipe pieces
from flopping over. To add additional strength we then used electrical tape
to attach horozontal peices of bamboo. The thin kind that can be purchased
as plant stakes.

When this was done we laid the net on top leaving the sides up 6 inches to a
foot to allow the frogs to come and go. When they are not active anymore we
will close the net down all the way.

This seems to be working pretty well. The net is bigger than the surface
area of the pond so it extends a ways which is keeping leaves from sneaking
in the sides. Also because the net is raised about 3 feet in some places it
allows the plants that are not dormant yet to have some room. Another
advantage is the rounded shape does not catch the leaves. They seem to fall
down the sides.

This has been up a week and there is no maintenance needed as yet. Other
than our resident frog, who needed to be shooed back to the pond. I guess
she thought we had installed a trampoline for her.

Hope this helps. I will try to get a digital picture that I can email if
someone needs it.

Heather
SW Ontario - Zone 5

Old 12-10-2003, 04:02 PM
John Bachman

On 11 Oct 2003 20:11:48 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

If possible make a tent shaped pvc arrangement
and attach the screening to that.

see
www.anatekcorp.com/garden/pondscreen.htm for how I do it. I can
provide you with parts, plans, kits or the whole shebang.

John

Old 21-10-2003, 12:02 PM
John Bachman

Cin1754 wrote:

We are having trouble finding a way to keep our pond covered with screen for
the autumn months. Any screen continues to slide into the water, and then I
have difficulty pulling it up with all the weight of the leaves. Any
suggestions?

See www.anatekcorp.com/garden/pondscreen.htm for my method. I use a
clever PVC frame design that is easy to assemble/disassemble. The
mesh is a heavy duty polyester with 1/8 inch holes so it catches the
smallest debris. The dome shape automatically cleans itself as the
wind blows the leaves off.

I can supply parts, plans, kits or the whole shebang.

John