Old 17-10-2003, 01:22 PM
pixi

Default My New Pond/Waterfall

There are some side benefits to my latest acquisitions. The other day I
was wishing I had a few Cedar Waxwings hanging around.

Got up yesterday morning and took my binoculars to have my coffee on the
deck as I usually do. Suddenly there was a roar of wings; many, many wings.
I have six poplars in my yard and before I could blink an eye, they were
all loaded with birds. Dozens of them. Others were wheeling round the new
pond and landing on the pebbles on the shallow shelves.

Couldn't place them at first. They had crests and were the size of titmice,
but the color was wrong. I noted a bar running from the eyes back so went
and got my trusty bird book. Darned if they weren't Cedar Waxwings. I had
never seen one in the flesh before.

Regrettably, the waxwings are long gone. But all the rest are still here.
Bluejays, finches, sparrows of all kinds, cardinals, flickers, woodpeckers,
and many more. The other day I saw eight or ten bluebirds checking out
bluebird boxing. Don't know if they were looking for a winter home or what.
They seemed to be especially interested in the gourds which we take down in
winter as the wind here is very strong and tends to blow things down.

Well, this is a pond group and I am talking birds so will get out. Just
thought I'd share. I figure if you like fish, you must like birds too.

Pixi

Old 17-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Lori

Well, this is a pond group and I am talking birds so will get out. Just
thought I'd share. I figure if you like fish, you must like birds too.

Yep.

Old 17-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Steve and Lisa

Ditto

Old 17-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Susan H. Simko

pixi wrote:

Regrettably, the waxwings are long gone. But all the rest are still here.
Bluejays, finches, sparrows of all kinds, cardinals, flickers, woodpeckers,
and many more. The other day I saw eight or ten bluebirds checking out
bluebird boxing. Don't know if they were looking for a winter home or what.
They seemed to be especially interested in the gourds which we take down in
winter as the wind here is very strong and tends to blow things down.

Groups of bluebirds will often share bluebird houses in the winter. We
have several bluebird houses in the ayrd and often times in the winter
we will see three or four bluebirds exiting each house in the morning.
Put up some suet (ours prefer peanut suet) and they wil definitely stick
around. *smile*

As to getting OT with birds, I think most ponders share a love for all
nature not just our ponds.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 17-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Anne Lurie

Pixi,

Cedar Waxwings are among my favorite birds! I think they are certainly
among the most beautiful, as their feathers almost look "painted on"! BTW,
if some of the waxwings seem a little fatter than the rest and have grayish
breasts, those are Bohemian Waxwings. Although these are "western" birds, I
used to see large flocks of them when I lived in northern VT.

Here's to coffee on the deck with binoculars -- one of my favorite
pastimes!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 18-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Ditto the ditto

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Steve and Lisa" wrote in message
. ..
Ditto
"Lori" wrote in message

Well, this is a pond group and I am talking birds so will get out. Just
thought I'd share. I figure if you like fish, you must like birds too.

Yep.

Increase Waterfall Flow? How about Pondmaster Waterfall Pumps? Runner Ponds 4 06-12-2003 03:02 AM
Increase Waterfall Flow? How about Pondmaster Waterfall Pumps? Runner Ponds 0 03-12-2003 03:43 PM
Increase Waterfall Flow? How about Pondmaster Waterfall Pumps? Runner Ponds 0 03-12-2003 03:32 PM
OT My New Pond/Waterfall Bonnie Ponds 0 17-10-2003 02:03 PM
Waterfall without a pond - end of Day 1!! Jane Cooper Ponds 3 23-06-2003 04:20 AM