Old 23-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Michael Shaffer

Default Overwintering Hyacinth?

Hi I brought some of hyacinth's in for winter, what do I need to make
sure they have adequate nutrients? They have plenty of light, I'm just
worried not enough food..

Thanks
Mike

Old 23-10-2003, 06:02 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hi I brought some of hyacinth's in for winter, what do I need to make
sure they have adequate nutrients? They have plenty of light, I'm just
worried not enough food..
Mike

That is probably why it is suggested to put their roots in dirt? At least
that is what worked for me the one year. They can be plagued with bugs that
hide deep inside, so a treatment is wise. ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 24-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Michael Shaffer

I think I have a jug of Miracle Grow in my shed, would that work? I just
don't want to use dirt because I don't want to get all messy.

Old 25-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Hal

I use 15-30-15 cheap brand, but mine get sunshine, I just don't let
them freeze.
Regards,
Hal Zone 8

Old 27-10-2003, 03:22 PM
D Kat

I have actually killed my hyacinths with Miracle Grow so be careful.... I
have for the first time this year not emptied out my patio water garden (a
very large japanese vase) but instead brought it inside to sit near the
sliding back door. I put one of the water hyacinths in it along with the
guppies that have lived there through the summer. So far (it has been in at
least a couple of weeks) it looks splendid... we will see how long it holds
up. I think the 3 small guppies are giving it all the nutrients it needs
since it continues to thrive. I don't suppose you have any small fish you
can place in with yours? If you want some fancy guppies I have dozens I can
share.... I foolishly rescued them from their parents. DK