Old 24-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Michael Shaffer

Default Water hyacinth overwintering

What should I feed my water hyacinths over the winter? I have them in
two 4ftx1ftx1ft aquariums under 2 shop lights (4 total shop lights). I
don't know much about gardening. I searched google a lot and didn't see
anything about feeding them during the winter. Is there any kind of
liquid fertilizer I can buy? Or should I just dump some top soil in to
mix with the water? Oh yea, there's a lot of snail in with them so I
don't want to hurt them.

Thanks
Mike S

Old 25-10-2003, 01:32 AM
J Kolenovsky

Are you in Texas?

Michael Shaffer wrote:
=

What should I feed my water hyacinths over the winter? I have them in
two 4ftx1ftx1ft aquariums under 2 shop lights (4 total shop lights). I
don't know much about gardening. I searched google a lot and didn't se=

anything about feeding them during the winter. Is there any kind of
liquid fertilizer I can buy? Or should I just dump some top soil in to
mix with the water? Oh yea, there's a lot of snail in with them so I
don't want to hurt them.
=

Thanks
Mike S

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 25-10-2003, 02:02 AM
J Kolenovsky

Virginia?

That's good. It's on the federal and state noxious weed list here and if
caught in possession by USFW, $200 fine "per" plant.

http://www.nearctica.com/flowers/otos/ponted/Ecrass.htm

What did you say your address was, again? Just kidding. (if you keep
them contained, you're probably o-k. I wouldn't toss them out when you
go to get rid of them. I'd dry them out totally or burn them instead of
throwing in the trash or discarding in a field, stream or lot)

JK

=

Old 25-10-2003, 07:12 AM
Phillip Sherman

Michael Shaffer wrote:
What should I feed my water hyacinths over the winter? I have them in
two 4ftx1ftx1ft aquariums under 2 shop lights (4 total shop lights). I
don't know much about gardening. I searched google a lot and didn't see
anything about feeding them during the winter. Is there any kind of
liquid fertilizer I can buy? Or should I just dump some top soil in to
mix with the water? Oh yea, there's a lot of snail in with them so I
don't want to hurt them.

Thanks
Mike S

I worked for the USDA during my college days. We actually risked our
lives testing various chemicals to destroy them. Now 40 yr.'s later,
when the District lowers the lake. One can still see them in large
patches heading seaward. I say try 2-4 D.

Phill

--
I live in zone 10a-10b

Old 25-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Hal

Water hyacinths won't live through a freeze. They aren't know for
being a problem North of Zone 9.

Regards,

Hal Zone 8