Old 28-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Keith and Wendy Slonecker

Default bulging eyes on koi

Hello all. Its been a wonderful summer without problems in my pond.
However, yesterday I noticed a 10 inch koi floating at the surface just
under the waterfall. It was lethargic but swam around just a little and
fairly near the surface. I got close enough to inspect that it had massive
bulging eyes. They looked like they were going to explode!

There are no sores, mouth rot, fin rot, obvious parasites, fins not clamped,
no 'pine cone' or lifting of any scales, just the bug eyes and the
lethargy.

The pond is 3000 gallons and all water parameters are the same as they have
been all summer and most of the 3 years I've had the pond: ph is 8, salt is
..14, no amonia, no nitrites, no nitrates, water temp is 52 degrees. I use a
standard regimen with Koizyme but a car accident left me unable to keep the
weekly maintenance dose for the past 4 weeks. I re-started with the Koizyme
3 days ago and did a double dose due to lower water temp. All other fish in
the pond appear fine. The temps have been low enough here that I have not
been feeding the fish for about 10 days now.

I looked at koivet.com and other sites about bulging eyes and it seems like
it either is or isnt bacterial, is or isnt TB, is or isnt fatal, and is or
isnt contagious to the other fish or to humans.

I am really confused now. Any suggestions on whether I can save this fish
and what I should/shouldnt do?

Thanks so much for any help.

Wendy in Oregon

Old 28-10-2003, 10:12 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Wendy,

How long have you had this fish? When was the last time you added new fish?
Did you personally quarantine any new fish, if so, for how long?

In the meantime do remove sick fish from pond to a sick tank. ~ jan

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:14:34 -0800, "Keith and Wendy Slonecker" wrote:

[...]

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 29-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Keith and Wendy Slonecker

Jan:

Thanks. I have not added any new fish in the past 18 months.

The water temp is up to 54 degrees right now so I just dosed the pond with
another 60 ml of Koizyme, hoping it still might be beneficial in case of
bacterial problem. In the last 12 hours the sick fish seems to be a little
more active and is not hanging at the surface and not hiding either. Its
just swimming slowly, kind of with the rest of the gang.

wendy in Oregon

Old 29-10-2003, 07:42 AM
_Lil_Lamb

I am not sure if Koi are susceptible, but in freshwater aquariums, there is a disease
called Popeye, where the eyes bulge from their sockets. I treated mine with Maracyn, and
Maracyn-Two, and MarOxy, concurrently. It is my understanding that it is a build up of
fluids caused by an infection of some type, and possibly not always the same infection.

Perhaps you could quarantine the Koi in an aquarium, and try using the meds on him.

Good luck, if it is Popeye, it isn't an easy one to beat.

--
DeAnna

Drop "BYE" to email me.

Old 29-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Happy'Cam'per

I would do a filter clean out. I reckon your water quality is down. You need
another or a better filter IMO.