Old 02-07-2003, 08:09 PM
Debs

Default Deep red Acer Palmatum dying before my eyes

I have two Acers in pots, grown from germinated seeds some 13 years ago. One
Palmatum (red) the other Dissectum (lime green). Having recently repotted
both plants earlier on in the season, they have exceeded my wildest
expectations, flourishing and producing lots of new foliage. Imagine my
horror when my palmatum started to wither and drop its leaves. The leaves
dry out from the tips backwards and eventually fall off although the stems
are still perfectly green. The decline started from the new growth and has
worked its way down to the oldest branches. There is only one layer of
leaves still remaining, this has happened in 10 days. I had problems with
scale mite last year, but with a lot of care and attention, managed to rid
the trees without too much damage.
One outstanding feature I have noticed is along the whole length of some of
the branches, half the girth is green and the other bark brown. This is not
something that has happened this season, it has been present for some time.
I have toyed with the idea it could be Verticillium wilt, but shudder with
the thought that this could be sudden death for my most prized tree.
Should I lift it and examine the roots? If any one could offer any advice I
would be eternally grateful.
Debs

Old 03-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Roscoe

My pot grown acer had the same problem last year. Seeking advice,
I was told that acers are prone to leaf wind scorching and particularly
from the early morning sun.
I now keep it in dappled shade making sure the compost is damp,
and apart from a small attack of scale insects, all is well with it.

Roscoe
------------
"Debs" wrote in a message:
I have two Acers in pots, grown from germinated seeds some 13 years ago.
One Palmatum (red) the other Dissectum (lime green). Imagine my

Old 03-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Sacha

in article , Debs at
wrote on 2/7/03 8:03 pm:

[...]

The usual problem people come to us with shows itself to be too much
watering, followed as a close second by too much wind. Acers should drain
very well, be allowed *almost* to dry out between watering and should not be
in a windy spot at all. Raise the pots in some way so that they drain
thorougly.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debs View Post
[...]
I do realise debs acers are long dead and gone, but my comments are for others with the same problem. Whilst I do not doubt sacha's advice, I have also read on line that seedlings from acers are notorious for sudden death.
The experts believe the root systems on some varieties grown from seed are weak and liable to sudden death. As someone who has grown many from seed, this to me makes logical sense, because all of mine were in pots/same soil/same part of garden/same conditions, some have died, some have flourished. Only difference I can see is different seed varieties. Experts say research too expensive to find out exact cause of death, and stick with grafting.