Old 03-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Frances Whited

Default Feeding during "Indian Summer"

I am a very new ponder here in Zone 5 Ohio. Put in one of those 90-gal.
preformed kits in the spring, and we love it!

Here's my question. I really didn't feed our two 4-5" goldfish (one
comet and one something else -- all orange!) all summer. Now we have at
least nine, maybe more, babies. The weather had gotten quite cool and
the fish all were pretty inactive. I had read that you shouldn't feed
fish when they start their metabolic slowdown for the winter.

Now we're in a weeklong stretch of 60-70 degree days and 50s at night.
The fish seem quite active again. I worry about them (especially the
babies) having developed enough body fat for the winter.

Is it OK to feed them during the warmer temps or should I just let them
chow down on the anacharis?

Thanks!
Frances
Old 04-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Mouse

I feed all the time the fish will take it, just reduce the amount, as the
biggest problem is pollution from uneaten food. I am in the UK and our
weather varies a lot at this time of year.Whenever the fish are active I
give a little food.
Mike
UK

"Frances Whited" wrote in message
I am a very new ponder here in Zone 5 Ohio. Put in one of those 90-gal.
preformed kits in the spring, and we love it!

Here's my question. I really didn't feed our two 4-5" goldfish (one
comet and one something else -- all orange!) all summer. Now we have at
least nine, maybe more, babies. The weather had gotten quite cool and
the fish all were pretty inactive. I had read that you shouldn't feed
fish when they start their metabolic slowdown for the winter.

Now we're in a weeklong stretch of 60-70 degree days and 50s at night.
The fish seem quite active again. I worry about them (especially the
babies) having developed enough body fat for the winter.

Is it OK to feed them during the warmer temps or should I just let them
chow down on the anacharis?

Thanks!
Frances

---

Old 04-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Gail Futoran

"Frances Whited" wrote in message
I am a very new ponder here in Zone 5 Ohio. Put in one of

those 90-gal.
preformed kits in the spring, and we love it!

Addictive, aren't they?

[...]

As long as water temps are above 60 degrees, I feed my
goldfish their usual pre-soaked variety pellets. However,
in fall I start adding more grains, like whole wheat bread,
fruit (they love orange slices) and less protein, especially
in afternoon as temps cool down. There are commercial
goldfish foods labeled for seasons but they come in such
large containers I usually end up throwing most of it away
after about six months. (Nutrients deteriorate over time.)
I only have 7 goldfish+shubunkins in an outdoor stock tank.

If all babies survive the winter, you will be overstocked
(eventually). You might consider culling some of the
babies - giving them away if possible. Or hope the adults
take care of the problem for you.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 04-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Steve and Lisa

Hi fellow Ohioan......we're in North Canton and it's supposed to be 77F/25C
today here. I've got two bull frog babies that seem to be enjoying the
sunshine .....hadn't seen them for a bit thought they'd left!

As our fish have been begging for food the past few days I broke down and
gave them a pinch which they gobbled up quickly.

Lisa
www.britsintheus.com/marriednhappy/home.htm