Old 05-11-2003, 08:12 PM
D Kat

Default Do you feed fish during Indian Summer?

The last week we had 3 days of what felt like HOT weather to me. Can you
or should you feed during periods like that?

Old 05-11-2003, 11:42 PM
mad

i would think it would have to do with the temperature of the water. do you
have a thermometer in your water?

mad

From: "D Kat"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:05:37 -0500
Subject: Do you feed fish during Indian Summer?

Old 06-11-2003, 03:02 AM
BenignVanilla

"D Kat" wrote in message
The last week we had 3 days of what felt like HOT weather to me. Can you
or should you feed during periods like that?

I am sure this will draw some fire but, I normally only feed my fish only
occasionally. It's more of a treat then a food source. As for temperature, I
feed them when they are active. No activity. No food. Activity. They get
food.

BV.

Old 06-11-2003, 04:02 AM
~ Windsong ~

"D Kat" wrote in message
The last week we had 3 days of what felt like HOT weather to me. Can you
or should you feed during periods like that?

================================
I feed our koi and goldfish once a day until the water hits about 50 F.
That's also the temperature we turn off the pumps and remove the filters. I
believe they should go into the winter as plump as possible, like the fish
in nature. Only small water pumps keep the surface agitated to keep ice
from smothering the ponds. Last year we didn't lose one fish over the
winter.
--
Carol.....
Remember, there are more deaths from automobiles and

Old 06-11-2003, 04:02 AM
~ Windsong ~

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

I am sure this will draw some fire but, I normally only feed my fish only
occasionally. It's more of a treat then a food source. As for temperature,

feed them when they are active. No activity. No food. Activity. They get
food.

====================
In a huge pond with few fish they probably don't need extra food. Most of
us don't have such conditions though.

Old 06-11-2003, 08:33 PM

normally I didnt once the temp dropped to 55oF, but since the heater went in the temp
still hasnt dropped below 55. this is really working. I pulled all teh plants
yesterday. sigh. Ingrid

"D Kat" wrote:

The last week we had 3 days of what felt like HOT weather to me. Can you
or should you feed during periods like that?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:02 AM
D Kat

OK, now you have me torn between wanting to keep the fish active (putting in
a heater) and wanting one less think to worry about what with all the work
of fall cleanup..... DK

"D Kat" wrote:

The last week we had 3 days of what felt like HOT weather to me. Can

you
or should you feed during periods like that?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 08-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Mouse

Try and match your pond as close as possible to what the fish would have in
the wild, and the environment they would live in. If that means heating then
heat If they are active give a small amount of food.
Here in the UK I don't normally see my fish at this time of year. This year
it is quite mild and the fish are still taking small amounts of food on warm
sunny days. In my 20 years of fish keeping,both pond and tropical fresh
water. I have seen most fish deaths caused by people continually meddling
with the habitat, water quality and overfeeding, etc, than any other causes.
Mike
UK

et...

"D Kat" wrote:

The last week we had 3 days of what felt like HOT weather to me. Can

you
or should you feed during periods like that?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

---

Old 09-11-2003, 03:02 PM

in the "wild" most of our fish would have been predated due to their stand out
colors. in the wild they dont get supplemental feeding, in the wild the vast
majority of GF die. Ingrid

"Mouse" wrote:
Try and match your pond as close as possible to what the fish would have in
the wild, and the environment they would live in.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 11-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Theo van Daele

Ingrid,

FWIW, I agree.

We should never look at our ponds as something "close to nature".

Unless we have a pond like Sam has (meaning multiple thousands of gallons
per fish), our ponds are not and will never be a "nature" thing.

We can all avoid desillusion taking that little fact into account :-)

Theo

schreef in bericht

"Mouse" wrote:
Try and match your pond as close as possible to what the fish would have

in
the wild, and the environment they would live in.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 11-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Mouse

I would beg to differ from your opinion. Whilst your statement may be true
of the people who keep koi, which are looked on here as exotic fish, many of
us keep other species. My own 1000 gallon pond, has the same species of
fish, plants, other specimens of wildlife, and water conditions as the vast
lake not far from where I live. Here in the UK that is certainly looked on
as "close to nature"
Mouse
UK

"Mouse" wrote:
Try and match your pond as close as possible to what the fish would

have
in
the wild, and the environment they would live in.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 12-11-2003, 06:02 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Perhaps we need to take a poll, but I would guess you are in the minority
within this group. Thus said, your advice is still valid with a clarifier
of what kind of pond you keep.

From a Koi Vet's perspective they say the majority of fish deaths (koi &
goldfish) are from water quality and the poor upkeep thereof. From a koi
dealers perspective, they say the average life span of a koi is 2 weeks....
I deduct from poor water quality. ~ jan )

"Mouse" wrote:
Try and match your pond as close as possible to what the fish would

have
in
the wild, and the environment they would live in.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

---

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 12-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Mouse

I agree with you totally. I am obviously in a minority in this group as I
don't keep Koi. However overfeeding = poor water quality= fish deaths
whatever the species. The other problem I seem to have is that my use of
English differs from the American English :-)
Mouse

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Perhaps we need to take a poll, but I would guess you are in the minority
within this group. Thus said, your advice is still valid with a clarifier
of what kind of pond you keep.

From a Koi Vet's perspective they say the majority of fish deaths (koi &

"Mouse" wrote:
Try and match your pond as close as possible to what the fish would

have
in
the wild, and the environment they would live in.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 12-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Theo van Daele

The other problem I seem to have is that my use of
English differs from the American English :-)

Erm... can you explain this to me, a poor Belgian, just back yesterday from
a track day at Brands Hatch, who's native language is neither UK or US
English ?

This is a very global world these days, with people trying to give the best
info they can... how many natural ponds do you know (Midlands, North,
Southern, Scouse, where-ever) you know that hold say only 50.000 gallons (US
or UK) ? ;-)

Theo

Old 12-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Mouse

Where I live in Yorkshire, almost all villages have a pond that has been
there for many hundreds of years, some of these are quite small, and even
dry up in the summer season. Many other small ponds / pools were formed by
the Romans, and later Monks specifically for keeping fish for food. These
would all be referred to as natural ponds, because of the habitat and
wildlife that they attract and support. Size and volume of water would not
enter into the equation
Mouse