Old 17-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Carl Beyer

Default Ignorance sorry,,, what is a magoi

I just saw this tupe of fish posted... what makes it different from a
koi (from a laymans terms).

Thanks

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 17-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Theo van Daele

Carl,

Short story, the magoi is the "father/mother" of all Nishikigoi, or in short
"koi"

They were used as food fish (still are today in fact) in Japan, and as far
as history goes, come from the Persian area initially.

Some Japanese breeders suddenly got coloured offspring from these critters,
and kept them as pets. These first coloured carp were Kohaku.

They were kept in the bassins that were used to feed the rice fields in
Niigata. They needed "proteins" to complete their rice diet, especially
when heavy snow completely isolated them from the rest of Japan.

Every serious Japanese koi keeper has at least one in their ponds, as they
"bring luck".

Picture (through my pond cam) can be seen here :

http://www.wide-o.net/various/camera.jpg

HTH,

Theo

"Carl Beyer" schreef in bericht

Old 18-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Carl Beyer

Thanks for the info...

Guess it is nuetral markings... carp grey?

Old 18-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Theo van Daele

They are a very nice black with either a brown or blue "shine" to it.
If I'm not mistaken out of the "brown" variety they bred the kohaku, out of
the "blue" they got the asagi.

Even in very clear water they are quite hard to spot, almost like a shadow
passing.

Ignorance? Adam Bailey United Kingdom 19 21-03-2007 11:41 PM
Apple ignorance Ron H Gardening 0 24-07-2006 10:21 PM
Ignorance Brian United Kingdom 26 31-10-2005 08:15 PM
Yankee ignorance Carolyn LeCrone Gardening 6 28-07-2004 10:02 AM
Yankee ignorance Paul Paulsen Gardening 9 27-07-2004 05:23 AM