Old 27-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Brian

Default Ignorance

At a time when onions were very scarce [many years ago now] I offered
some to a middle aged woman. She responded~ "You got them out of the ground
didn't you?~~ No thanks, I'll wait till the greengrocer has some in fresh".
I was very young at the time and quite bewildered. The onions were ripe
and very good quality 'Rousham Park Hero'. I had managed to get 1oz of seed
from Australia.
Where in/on earth she thought onions came from~ I know not.
There must have been many other instances.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 28-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Bob Hobden

"Brian" wrote
At a time when onions were very scarce [many years ago now] I offered
some to a middle aged woman. She responded~ "You got them out of the
ground
didn't you?~~ No thanks, I'll wait till the greengrocer has some in
fresh".
I was very young at the time and quite bewildered. The onions were
ripe
and very good quality 'Rousham Park Hero'. I had managed to get 1oz of
seed
from Australia.
Where in/on earth she thought onions came from~ I know not.
There must have been many other instances.

Onion Trees of course, same family as Spaghetti Trees as shown on Panorama
too many years ago.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 28-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Mike

Onion Trees of course, same family as Spaghetti Trees as shown on Panorama
too many years ago.

Those are of course for the gardener, for the craftsman there is the 'left
handed screwdriver' and once, the 'rubber hammer' however this is now a
reality ;-))

Mike

Old 28-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike" writes:

| Onion Trees of course, same family as Spaghetti Trees as shown on Panorama
| too many years ago.
|
| Those are of course for the gardener, for the craftsman there is the 'left
| handed screwdriver' and once, the 'rubber hammer' however this is now a
| reality ;-))

In IT, there is the DWIM instruction.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-10-2005, 05:25 PM
michael adams

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Brian" wrote

Where in/on earth she thought onions came from~ I know not.
There must have been many other instances.

Onion Trees of course, same family as Spaghetti Trees as shown on Panorama
too many years ago.

Indeed. Sorry I just couldn't resist.

quote

TREE ONIONS

COMMON NAMES: walking onions, Egyptian onions, topset onions

BOTANICAL NAME: Allium cepa var. proliferum

FAMILY: Alliaceae, the onion family

PLANT DESCRIPTION

Tree onions produce up to 3 bulbs at the base and a stiff stem which has
several bulbils, or little onions, at the top. A biennial, it will
self-propagate by folding it's stem to the ground so that the bulbils plant
themselves. It is the most cold-hardy of all the onions and survives frozen
ground.

USES

The top bulbils are used for pickling. The base bulb is a tender, juicy
salad onion. Tree onions will keep for up to 12 months.

PLANTING

Plant May to December in a sunny, well-drained position. Plant in late
spring in cooler areas. Soil is best prepared a few months before planting.
For a good crop, tree onions require a rich, loam soil. Avoid using manure,
as too high a nitrogen content will reduce the keeping quality of the tree
onions. Check the pH and add lime to correct acidity. Plant tree onions 3 cm
deep. Space bulbs 15-20 cm apart.

HARVEST

Harvest the tree onions when the stalks dry, gather the bulbils and plant
out straight away. Spread the bulbs on a wire screen in a cool,
well-ventilated shelter to dry. Store in a cool, dry place or hang up in
open weave bags.

Available from Green Harvest:

July to September 2006

© Frances Michaels

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/Plant...ions_info.html

/quote

michael adams

Old 28-10-2005, 06:26 PM
JennyC

"Mike" wrote in message

Onion Trees of course, same family as Spaghetti Trees as shown on Panorama
too many years ago.

Those are of course for the gardener, for the craftsman there is the 'left
handed screwdriver' and once, the 'rubber hammer' however this is now a
reality ;-))
Mike

Or the "chicken wire seed" and "sky hooks"
Jenny

Old 28-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Richard Brooks

Brian wrote:
At a time when onions were very scarce [many years ago now] I offered
some to a middle aged woman. She responded~ "You got them out of the ground
didn't you?~~ No thanks, I'll wait till the greengrocer has some in fresh".
I was very young at the time and quite bewildered. The onions were ripe
and very good quality 'Rousham Park Hero'. I had managed to get 1oz of seed
from Australia.
Where in/on earth she thought onions came from~ I know not.
There must have been many other instances.
Best Wishes Brian.

On that BBC2 series where some woman goes around to people's places and
shows them how to save money, the two gay guys who were told to go
shopping down the market instead of the sumpermarket were exactly what I
thought would happen to this generation.

"Oh no! I can't have this carrot as it's not straight. Oh no! This one
has a crack in it. This one has a bit of dirt on it!"

Same for processed stuff. I had a look at creamed coconut in a block -
89p in Tesco for one block. As it's been for many years in all the
Asian shops I've been into, across the road I went and bought three for £1 !

Richard.

Old 28-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Richard Brooks

JennyC wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

Onion Trees of course, same family as Spaghetti Trees as shown on Panorama
too many years ago.

Those are of course for the gardener, for the craftsman there is the 'left
handed screwdriver' and once, the 'rubber hammer' however this is now a
reality ;-))

Mike

Or the "chicken wire seed" and "sky hooks"
Jenny

Or the 'gardening' stunt double for Geoff Hamilton. He never digged his
own plots, you know.

Richard.

--
Celebrate Eid Safely!

Don't leave cooking unattended.
Old 28-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Gary Woods

"JennyC" wrote:

Or the "chicken wire seed" and "sky hooks"

They're what you use to hang up the bucket of prop wash.

Old 29-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:
"JennyC" wrote:

Or the "chicken wire seed" and "sky hooks"

They're what you use to hang up the bucket of prop wash.

I suggest looking them up on the Net :-)

It is pretty unlikely that it will be possible to build a sky hook
on the earth in the forseeable future, but people are doing serious
calculations on how it could be done and what it would cost. The
recent discovery of buckytubes means that it is at least theoretically
possible for a feasible amount of resources. Kevlar is good enough
for the moon, or even Mars, but doesn't really cut the mustard for
earth.

Of course, getting a suitable carbonaceous chondrite into place,
processing it into buckytubes and spinning the line is a little
beyond current engineering!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Onion Trees of course, same family as Spaghetti Trees as shown on Panorama
too many years ago.

Those are of course for the gardener, for the craftsman there is the 'left
handed screwdriver' and once, the 'rubber hammer' however this is now a
reality ;-))

I've had rubber hammers since the 1950s

What else would you use to knock glass nails in with?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Those are of course for the gardener, for the craftsman there is the 'left
handed screwdriver' and once, the 'rubber hammer' however this is now a
reality ;-))
Mike

Or the "chicken wire seed" and "sky hooks"

I make my own chicken netting by tying a lot of holes together with wire.

Old 29-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Gary Woods contains these words:
"JennyC" wrote:

Or the "chicken wire seed" and "sky hooks"

They're what you use to hang up the bucket of prop wash.

Only in more tropical climes - we use cloud-clamps here to - er -
where's the prop on a glider, anyway?.

Old 29-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , wrote:

Tut, you're behind the times! The current designs need about 20 tonnes
in geostationary orbit (three launches of a Proton/Ariane V/shuttle
class launcher) to form a seed cable. Once that's in place you start
running small climbers up it with more cable to expand it to full
size.

You are, indeed, correct that I am behind the times!

20 tons only? Even allowing for the equipment to spin the initial
cable and to power the climbers (SO much better than using fossil
fuel), that is really quite affordable. I doubt that I will see it,
but I could well be wrong.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ignorance? Adam Bailey United Kingdom 19 21-03-2007 11:41 PM
Apple ignorance Ron H Gardening 0 24-07-2006 10:21 PM
Yankee ignorance Carolyn LeCrone Gardening 6 28-07-2004 10:02 AM
Yankee ignorance Paul Paulsen Gardening 9 27-07-2004 05:23 AM
Ignorance sorry,,, what is a magoi Carl Beyer Ponds 3 18-11-2003 07:02 AM