Old 28-12-2003, 01:48 PM
John Burton

Default Pond Heaters

We had a good freeze last week, ended up with ice across my entire pond
except 1) where the water falls from the bio filter and 2) the skimmer.

Question is this. In order to be prepared for the next freeze (spring ain't
here yet) I'm wondering what type of heater (or bubbler) I should install.
Y'see I have an 11' x 16' pond, about 24" deep at the deep end. Seven
Comets and one Koi in the pond as of last spring, but I haven't seen them
for nearly two months. I expect they're hiding in the hidey holes built by
all the rocks that line the pond.

Suggestions?

--
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

john burton
Bach 50B3
Bass Trombone, Charleston NeoPhonic Orchestra
South Charleston, West Virginia

Old 28-12-2003, 02:12 PM
GrannyGrump

We had a good freeze last week, ended up with ice across my entire pond
except 1) where the water falls from the bio filter and 2) the skimmer.

Question is this. In order to be prepared for the next freeze (spring ain't
here yet) I'm wondering what type of heater (or bubbler) I should install.

As long as you have a hole open for gases to dissipate (sp?) You don't
need a heater.

However, if you really feel you need one, go to a farm supply and get
a floating stock tank heater.

You can order online from www.northerntools.com
Old 28-12-2003, 03:13 PM
tim chandler

John,

You might also want to check out
http://www.worldpetstore.com/ponddeicer.html
They have a floating heater and a submersible, the submersible is 1500
Watts.

Tim

Old 28-12-2003, 06:36 PM
RichToyBox

You only need to keep a hole open in the surface of the ice for gas
exchange, allowing toxic gasses to escape and oxygen to enter. An aquarium
air pump with an air stone will keep the surface moving enough to prevent
freezing in many ponds, and they are much cheaper to operate than the
heaters. The stock tank heaters are useful, but to limit electrical usage,
only plug them in as the pond really starts to freeze over. They have a
thermostat that comes on when the temperature gets near freezing, but the
small size of heater, and relatively large open pond makes them energy hogs
trying to heat the pond, when they can only keep a hole open.
--
RichToyBox

Old 29-12-2003, 06:33 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Burton" wrote in message
We had a good freeze last week, ended up with ice across my entire pond
except 1) where the water falls from the bio filter and 2) the skimmer.

Question is this. In order to be prepared for the next freeze (spring

ain't
here yet) I'm wondering what type of heater (or bubbler) I should install.
Y'see I have an 11' x 16' pond, about 24" deep at the deep end. Seven
Comets and one Koi in the pond as of last spring, but I haven't seen them
for nearly two months. I expect they're hiding in the hidey holes built

by
all the rocks that line the pond.

I use a small pump sitting in a filter box in the shallows. It moves the
surface water without circulating the lower, warmer water. Some other PORG's
have had bad experiences with this method, but so far, it is working just
fine for me, keeping a nice hole open. I'll check in again in February and
see how happy I am. LOL.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 08-01-2004, 04:42 AM
VomSilbertal

You're ok as long as the whole surface is not frozen. By having the opening
where the waterfall is the gasses in the water can escape. I use an aeration
system in my pond for this reason.

Old 08-01-2004, 06:18 PM
BenignVanilla

"Rich" wrote in message
My heater broke some years ago. I use a pump to circulate water, and keep

hole open.

snip

I am doing the same, this my first winter. I have a small pump sitting in
the shallows. So far it has kept a 1/3 of the pond clear of ice.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 08-01-2004, 10:38 PM
GrannyGrump

I am doing the same, this my first winter. I have a small pump sitting in
the shallows. So far it has kept a 1/3 of the pond clear of ice.

That's more than enough for the exchange of gases.

Winterizing Pond - Heaters MC Ponds 96 07-10-2005 07:19 PM
parasene parafin heaters stuart_tawn3 United Kingdom 4 26-01-2004 12:12 AM
Pond Heaters John Burton Ponds (alternative) 4 23-01-2004 12:02 AM
Pond Heaters for Sale response tom A Ponds 0 18-01-2004 07:32 PM
Pond Heaters for Sale Craig Ponds 14 16-01-2004 03:04 PM