Old 29-12-2003, 08:42 AM
question

Default Fish near surface - OK??

Help please!
Just noticed my fish are near the surface of the pond (12 foot by 8 x 2 fot
deep) - I have the pumprunning 24/7 and have a small waterfall for aeration.
The fish are not gasping - seem perfectly OK, but normally I'd expect them
to be at the bottom when it's cold (last night it was about 1C minimum.
There is not much debris in the pond (newly created this year) and the water
is quite clear.
Should I be concerned about the fish?
I've had fish for quite a few years (biggest are 12inches).
Thanks for any info.

Old 29-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Gale Pearce

Mine are at the surface right now - 40 F air temp - they do that whenever we
get warmer than usual air temps or bright sun , even when the pond is ice
covered and really cold out - they are seeking warmth , I believe
Gale :~)

Old 29-12-2003, 10:39 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

You seem to have the obvious covered. Aeration and a clean bottom. So your
next move is take a water sample, let it come to room temperature and check
the ammonia, nitrite, pH & Kh levels and any other tests kits you have, run
them and see if there is an ominous answer there.

I can't even see my fish today. Snow came in, screens covered, I went out
and could hear the water still flowing. So all's well, she said hopefully.
Times like this my ponds will be completely ice free under that snow cover.

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 30-12-2003, 04:34 PM

after checking water ala Jan's suggestion, what is the temp? my koi head to the
bottom when the temp drops below 48o. with the 500 watt heater they been up at the
surface looking for food. the water temp has remained been between 50-55o and they
get a very small amount of food if they are up at the top and somebody grabs the
pellet when I throw it in. Ingrid

"question" wrote:
Help please!
Just noticed my fish are near the surface of the pond (12 foot by 8 x 2 fot
deep) - I have the pumprunning 24/7 and have a small waterfall for aeration.
The fish are not gasping - seem perfectly OK, but normally I'd expect them
to be at the bottom when it's cold (last night it was about 1C minimum.
There is not much debris in the pond (newly created this year) and the water
is quite clear.
Should I be concerned about the fish?
I've had fish for quite a few years (biggest are 12inches).
Thanks for any info.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com