Old 16-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Heather

Default Frogs and Lotus?

We fell in love with frogs last summer. We have a resident female green
frog but know she will not lay eggs in the fish pond. We would like to
create a new home for her.

I would like to grow lotus as well.

If we build another pond will the frogs and lotus both be happy in the same
one? How deep? (Zone 5 and -25C last night) and how big? I'd like to put
the lotus and the far end and leave some open space for the frogs.

Thanks in advance.

Heather

Old 16-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Ka30P

Lotus and frogs will enjoy the
same pond. Frogs will lay eggs
on and by vegetation. It won't
hurt the plants. I'll let the lotus
experts answer the depth question.

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 17-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Nedra

I'm not an expert on Lotus but gosh I do love this plant. I
had a lotus pond dug several years ago. I had it dug 24 inches deep. Then I
put about a foot of builders sand in the pond
and filled it up with fish pond water. Then the lotuses were
placed in the pond. Each year I am totally fascinated by the
beautiful leaves and blossoms. Be sure to put a couple of
airstones in the pond... to keep water from going stagnant.

I have never tried to isolate critters.
I think it would be an exercise in futility ...

You can see the lotus results in the link below my name.
I'm in Zone 6 - lower Missouri ;-)

Nedra

Old 17-01-2004, 03:46 AM
Nedra

One thing I didn't mention in my post above. DO pot up your
lotus before putting them/it in the pond. The roots spread like crazy
and it will really be labor intensive to divide them next season without
pots.

Nedra

ink.net...

Old 18-01-2004, 04:43 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm not an expert on Lotus but gosh I do love this plant. I
had a lotus pond dug several years ago.

=====================
Your Lotus are fantastic! What are you using for fertilizer?
--
Carol......
My webpages:

Old 18-01-2004, 05:43 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Mine is (Pacific Tree) frogs and tropical lilies. I finally got my first
lotus to grow and thrive in two containers last year, also in this pond. I
went with a formal style 15'X6' two feet deep with a 14" shelf along one
15' side. The lilies get the depth and the lotus (among other plants) got
the shelf. Pictures can be seen at website below by Clicking on *My Lily
Pond*. ~ jan )

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 18-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Nedra

Thanks Carol! Early in the season each pot gets lily tab or 4 or 5.
After that I flood the lotus pond bi-weekly with the water from the fish
pond - about 3 feet away. Water is from the bottom of the fish pond so I'm
taking care of two taskers in one fell swoop.

Nedra

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

ink.net...