Old 29-01-2004, 05:04 PM
CLAIRE

Default HOW TO STOP YOUR POND FREEZING

we have tried putting a tennis ball in the centre of our garden pond
to stop the water from freezing however, with the bad weather recently
this hadn't worked. Can anyone suggest an alternative?
Old 29-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Robyn Rhudy

I list some ideas at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/winter.htm

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, CLAIRE wrote:

we have tried putting a tennis ball in the centre of our garden pond
to stop the water from freezing however, with the bad weather recently
this hadn't worked. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Important Notice! Robyn's web site has moved from
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ to http://www.fishpondinfo.com. This
e-mail as well as the old site (which refers to the new site) will be
deleted on 9/24/04 by UMBC (I have no say in it). After that date,
please use the e-mail of instead of this e-mail.
Please spread the word that my site has moved. Thanks.

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
Old 29-01-2004, 07:05 PM
BenignVanilla

"CLAIRE" wrote in message
om...
we have tried putting a tennis ball in the centre of our garden pond
to stop the water from freezing however, with the bad weather recently
this hadn't worked. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Here are some topics on that subject:

http://www.iheartmypond.com/topiclis...c1=Winterizing

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 29-01-2004, 07:05 PM
GrannyGrump

we have tried putting a tennis ball in the centre of our garden pond
to stop the water from freezing however, with the bad weather recently
this hadn't worked. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Floating pond heater. Get one at a farm supply store, such as Tractor
Supply.

Old 29-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Brian Watson

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message

we have tried putting a tennis ball in the centre of our garden pond
to stop the water from freezing however, with the bad weather recently
this hadn't worked. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Floating pond heater. Get one at a farm supply store, such as Tractor
Supply.

Plan B: put one into your filter (if you run one).

Less wasted heat loss and you know it's not just heating a small area.

--
Brian
"The wind, do you hear it? It says 'Hel ... looo'"

Old 30-01-2004, 01:12 AM
John Bachman

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:39:58 -0600, John Hines
wrote:

(CLAIRE) wrote:

we have tried putting a tennis ball in the centre of our garden pond
to stop the water from freezing however, with the bad weather recently
this hadn't worked. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Move to florida? G

If the winter was much worse (we, chicago, is having a very mild winter
this year), that would be in my plans.

Yeah, but how would you pack your pond for the trip?

Sorry, but I do not want to hear from anyone who had a mild winter.

John

Old 30-01-2004, 01:32 AM
Woodsfrog

Hello Claire,
I use a stock tank heater for a couple of hours at a time just until there is a
hole in the ice. If you want a very low cost device to keep a hole in the ice
try the bubbler invented by one of our water garden society members. A diagram
for making it is on our web site: A href="http://www.mvwgs.org"Miami Valley
Water Garden Society/A Look at the Tips & Tricks Section.
W@@dsfrog
( ~ )
^ ^
Old 30-01-2004, 03:09 AM
Tyrone

"CLAIRE" wrote in message
om...
we have tried putting a tennis ball in the centre of our garden pond
to stop the water from freezing however, with the bad weather recently
this hadn't worked. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Please explain the theory behind the tennis ball. TIA

Old 30-01-2004, 03:32 AM
John Hines

wrote:

(CLAIRE) wrote:

we have tried putting a tennis ball in the centre of our garden pond
to stop the water from freezing however, with the bad weather recently
this hadn't worked. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Move to florida? G

If the winter was much worse (we, chicago, is having a very mild winter
this year), that would be in my plans.

Yeah, but how would you pack your pond for the trip?

In a really big plastic bag? Actually if it was a really bad winter, I
wouldn't expect much left.

Sorry, but I do not want to hear from anyone who had a mild winter.

All thing are relative, it is currently 4.6f (-16c) and dropping.

Coldest day yet winter. Not having heavy snow cover reduces the
insulating effect, causing more pond freezing.

Old 30-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Gretchen

we keep our filter running and also a small water fountain and that seems to
keep a good bit of the pood from freezing but not all....
om...

Old 30-01-2004, 03:57 PM
CLAIRE

"Tyrone" wrote in message ...
"CLAIRE" wrote in message
om...
we have tried putting a tennis ball in the centre of our garden pond
to stop the water from freezing however, with the bad weather recently
this hadn't worked. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Please explain the theory behind the tennis ball. TIA

Hi Tyrone,

The theory is that because the tennis ball is bobbing about all the
time the water is never still so it doesn't freeze - clearly this
hasn't worked though.