Old 02-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Simmons

Default Oh Oh, need help!

I have a large pond (3500 gallons) that has been home to a dozen koi for the last 8 years. I closed it up at the end of October (Massachusetts) and for the last two days the fish have been at the top of the water gasping for air. I have never run into this
problem before and was hoping someone here might have a reason for it and a solution to the problem.

I have a deicer running 24/7 which leaves a good portion of the surface open. (No other pumps are running) The last few weeks have been brutally cold (below zero at times) and last few days have been in the high 20's.

Any suggestions why the fish would be doing this?

Old 02-02-2004, 09:53 PM

Immediately go to Kmart and get a double outlet wave castle air pump and then to the
LFS and get the two biggest airstones and tubing and drop em into the water at 8 and
6 inches ... could be the leaves, etc. are running anaerobic and toxing the water
out. as you said, they are gasping. Ingrid

"Simmons" wrote:
I have a large pond (3500 gallons) that has been home to a dozen koi for the last 8 years. I closed it up at the end of October (Massachusetts) and for the last two days the fish have been at the top of the water gasping for air. I have never run into thi

s problem before and was hoping someone here might have a reason for it and a solution to the problem.

I have a deicer running 24/7 which leaves a good portion of the surface open. (No other pumps are running) The last few weeks have been brutally cold (below zero at times) and last few days have been in the high 20's.

Any suggestions why the fish would be doing this?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Tom La Bron

Simmons,

Did you do a cleaning of the leaves and stuff out of the pond before you
shut the pond down for the winter. If not,it is possible that you water is
becoming toxic to your fish because of crap on the bottom decaying. You
need a couple of airstones, and appropriate length of tubing and an
inexpensive air pump. Hook up the air pump to tubing and place the
airstones about 8 inches below the water surface and start it running. A
one or two outlet air pump is sufficient and leave it running for the rest
of the winter 24/7.

Good luck.

HTH

Tom L.L.