Old 09-02-2004, 02:32 PM
BTC/TAK on ACK

Default "Tale of Woe"... suggestions?

When a bike-path was put in along my property line a couple of years ago
there were a lot of electric service lines cut or "nicked". It appears
nicked can be worse because it can take a few years before the line
deteriorates. All of a sudden mid-day early in the week my power just went
out! I was "lucky" that I got "temporary" power by the weekend... it will be
weeks [or more] until another permanent line can be trenched in because of
deep frost. We had succeeded in keeping our pond partially open all winter,
but it froze over during the time we had no power... pretty thickly in fact.
In a way that might have been a good thing because since then we had a few
heavy "freezing rains" that flooded much of our yard. We chose the spot for
our pond to avoid any flooding problem. It looks like it's in the lowest
part of our property, so it appears to be a natural occurrence. But actually
there's a large hidden area which is quite a bit lower. Flooding has never
gone beyond that area until this weekend, when it was almost a foot over the
pond, and the top of that even froze over until late yesterday. I was afraid
the pond itself wasn't frozen quite enough to keep some "adventurous" fish
from escaping into the flood water before the flooding subsided...
especially since the ground is frozen so deeply that it's hardly absorbing
any water. It's apparently absorbing more than we had any reason to expect,
though, because the water over the pond area is gone [and no dead fish left
behind, thank God]. The pond itself is still frozen over though. I'm afraid
to "mechanically" break through the ice in the pond, with an axe for
example, having heard that is dangerous for the fish. On the other hand I'm
afraid to leave it frozen over much longer because of gaseous build-up under
the ice. I had effectively been keeping it clear with air bubbles, and
circulating water until last week, but that's not an option now. Any
suggestions?

Old 09-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Gale Pearce

Is it possible to use a cordless drill with a "spade" bit to drill a 1" hole
to allow you to put an airstone just below the surface of the ice ?
Gale :~)

Old 09-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Bonnie

After you drill the opening, it can be reopened daily with
either the drill or with a teakettle filled with hot water.
The opening doesn't have to be open all the time, but it
should be reopened daily.
Bonnie
NJ

Old 09-02-2004, 04:35 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I agree with Gale, a drill, though a stock tank heater element will melt
thru the ice in no time. ~ jan

Old 09-02-2004, 04:37 PM
BTC/TAK on ACK

Is it possible to use a cordless drill...

Gee, Gale, Bonnie and Jan... why didn't I think of that? It's very doable!
And I even have a cordless drill and, I think, the right bit.

I'm so glad I asked!

Mila

Old 09-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Offbreed

BTC/TAK on ACK wrote:

When a bike-path was put in along my property line a couple of years ago

Learn how to make paragraphs. That hurts my eyes to read.

Old 09-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Offbreed

Old 10-02-2004, 01:27 AM
BTC/TAK on ACK

Learn how to make paragraphs.

Thanks for the input... it'll be very helpful, I'm sure.

Mila

Old 10-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Offbreed

BTC/TAK on ACK wrote:

Learn how to make paragraphs.

Thanks for the input... it'll be very helpful, I'm sure.

Sorry, lost track of which news group I was in. That would be counted
as *polite* where I normally hang out, I lurk here to relax and learn
a bit about aguaculture.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:26 PM

so tell us how it goes. and if you got a big enough spade bit you might want to drop
a 100watt aquarium heater down in there below the level of the airstone. it will
keep a nice hole open!!! I had the same problem, electricity went out and froze over
had to drill hole. that is when I decided to tent my pond every winter. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Hedgehog. A tale of woe. Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 140 18-10-2010 09:11 PM
Fish Tale: "Garbo" the reclusive fish gmb Ponds (moderated) 5 09-08-2008 06:34 AM
A tale of two Walmart String Trimmers Jim Gilliland Lawns 3 12-08-2003 04:43 PM
Woe is me Chookie Australia 1 26-05-2003 10:21 AM
another bagged rose tale, and question about Christian Dior sub-strains torgo Roses 0 16-03-2003 09:44 PM