Old 13-02-2004, 08:26 PM
John Hines

Default "Tale of Woe"... suggestions?

"BTC/TAK on ACK" wrote:

So far I've been drilling holes every day... getting electricity anywhere
near the pond still hasn't happened. So I drill, then pray for a thaw,
drill, then pray for a thaw, drill, then pray for a thaw...

Bucket of hot tap water. Opens up holes in ice real easy, except for the
lugging from the house.

Fisherman have battery operated air pumps, for their minnow buckets.

Old 14-02-2004, 12:38 AM
BTC/TAK on ACK

Electricity? Yes, finally. Extension cord? I'm a little apprehensive about
using one since it would have to travel from my house, through an area that
has flooded [in an icy sort of way] a couple of times in this week, before
getting to the pond.

Mila

wrote in message
you dont have electricity? an extension cord?

"BTC/TAK on ACK" wrote:

So far I've been drilling holes every day... getting electricity anywhere
near the pond still hasn't happened. So I drill, then pray for a thaw,
drill, then pray for a thaw, drill, then pray for a thaw...

You get the picture, I imagine

Mila

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 14-02-2004, 07:20 AM

as long as there are no breaks in the wire before it gets where the plug can be hung
high and use dielectric grease (automotive section of hardware store) to waterproof
the connection. plug the other end into a ground fault interrupter. Ingrid

"BTC/TAK on ACK" wrote:

Electricity? Yes, finally. Extension cord? I'm a little apprehensive about
using one since it would have to travel from my house, through an area that
has flooded [in an icy sort of way] a couple of times in this week, before
getting to the pond.

Mila

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 15-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Dan D.

And just one more try.
Please ignore or forgive me!

Dan D.

Old 15-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Dan D.

And just one more try.
Please ignore or forgive me!

Dan D.

Old 16-02-2004, 12:12 AM
mikey

"BTC/TAK on ACK" wrote:

So far I've been drilling holes every day... getting electricity anywhere
near the pond still hasn't happened. So I drill, then pray for a thaw,
drill, then pray for a thaw, drill, then pray for a thaw...

You get the picture, I imagine

Mila

No disrespect, nor personal intended Mila, but it truly amazes me that
many people will think nothing of running 100-200 feet of extension cord
across their yard or "swimming pool" to run a Halloween or Christmas
lights display. A display that probably draws 2-3 times the amperes of
electricity, than a small heater and/or air pump draws, but are afraid
to run one 25-100 feet to "Protect" their precious fish or pond.

I have had one run, 50 feet, across the backyard to the 100 gal preform
pond since last May, with no ill effects, just remember to connect it to
a Ground-fault receptical. I use a portable GF right at the pond on mine.
(see it @ http://www.ourkoipond.com/PondPics2.htm)

My set up draws about 4.5 amps (300 watt aquarium heater, 200 watt pump,
and 50 watt air pump) I use a 50 foot 14/3 gauge outdoor type cord. It
can safely carry 15 amps (3X what it presently carries)

The problems arise when people try to take the really cheap, cheap way
out and use several of the 6' Home Depot $.89 (2 wire) extensions. That
are meant to be used on a table lamp.

Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

just my $.02

-- Microsoft XP --- "X"tra "P"atches, "X"tra "P"roblems, "X"tra
"P"rofit, "X"tra "P"ain, "X"tra "P"anic, "X"tra "P"athetic, "Xtra
"P"ernicious --- take your "P"ick

Old 16-02-2004, 02:42 AM
Offbreed

BTC/TAK on ACK wrote:

Electricity? Yes, finally. Extension cord? I'm a little apprehensive about
using one since it would have to travel from my house, through an area that
has flooded [in an icy sort of way] a couple of times in this week, before
getting to the pond.

How far is it, and do people, animals, or cars go through the area? Is
it in an area you want to keep "pretty"?

Outdoor grade extension cords (max length 100 feet) are pretty safe to
use outside, so long as no one trips over them, or cars catch them
against a rock, or something. I'd suggest against using several cords
to extend beyond 100 ft. It can be done, but requires a familiarity of
electricity you do not have to keep it safe. Nothing hard to do, just
lethal if you get it exactly wrong.

Then there's diferent ways to string wire. Tall tripods made of
saplings with the wire over the top (take them out and throw away come
the thaw), run it around long ways stapling exterior grade hookup wire
along a fence (permenant so you can add a light to the pond for summer
nights), and so on. There's even a plow attachment you can use to bury
the right kind of wire under sod, and without needing a trencher.

Old 18-02-2004, 01:32 PM

exactly. I have used extension cords for quite a while, never got around to running
electricity out to the ponds at my mothers. Been fine, hasnt melted down, isnt even
warm to the touch. but use a heavy duty one. Ingrid

mikey wrote:
The problems arise when people try to take the really cheap, cheap way
out and use several of the 6' Home Depot $.89 (2 wire) extensions. That
are meant to be used on a table lamp.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Hedgehog. A tale of woe. Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 140 18-10-2010 09:11 PM
Fish Tale: "Garbo" the reclusive fish gmb Ponds (moderated) 5 09-08-2008 06:34 AM
A tale of two Walmart String Trimmers Jim Gilliland Lawns 3 12-08-2003 04:43 PM
Woe is me Chookie Australia 1 26-05-2003 10:21 AM
another bagged rose tale, and question about Christian Dior sub-strains torgo Roses 0 16-03-2003 09:44 PM