Old 06-03-2004, 06:00 PM
JC

Default Pruning overgrown Pickerel

I've got mature pickerel rush and lilly plants that have overgrown their
pots and rooted in the pebbles/whatever in the bottom of my 3 1/2' deep,
1300 gal pond. Anachris has grown around, over and through the plants.
It's a natural look, which has been healthy, fish are happy and looks ok.

But over winter the rush and lilly plants turn brown and probably need
to be pruned out and dead material removed so it doesn't rot and upset
the water balance.

Anyone find a tool or technique to prune out these dead branches? The
pond is too big to reach them from the edge and would be difficult to
climb into because of the steep sloping sides.

Ideas? Thanks!

Old 06-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Hal

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:22:19 GMT, JC wrote:

Anyone find a tool or technique to prune out these dead branches? The
pond is too big to reach them from the edge and would be difficult to
climb into because of the steep sloping sides.

Put a ladder into the pond and climb in and out on it. It is
probably a good idea to take these out after the first frost.

Regards,

Hal
Old 06-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Hank

Pickerel rush are very hard to kill ..... I can reach mine and use a
large serrated knife to cut (hack) them back. Problem being after a
few years the have pushed all the soil from the pots. If you can
safely stay away from your liner you could use a tree pruning saw on a
long pole to cut them back. I have had them displace so much soil that
the pots floated to the surface. I have no gravel on bottom for them
to root into. Good luck and you should try to prune the plants in the
fall before they can decay.
hlink.net...

Old 08-03-2004, 03:31 PM
BenignVanilla

"JC" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I've got mature pickerel rush and lilly plants that have overgrown their
pots and rooted in the pebbles/whatever in the bottom of my 3 1/2' deep,
1300 gal pond. Anachris has grown around, over and through the plants.
It's a natural look, which has been healthy, fish are happy and looks

ok.

But over winter the rush and lilly plants turn brown and probably need
to be pruned out and dead material removed so it doesn't rot and upset
the water balance.

Anyone find a tool or technique to prune out these dead branches? The
pond is too big to reach them from the edge and would be difficult to
climb into because of the steep sloping sides.

My favorite method is the cannon ball, but more often then not, I use the
whoa...ahhh...aAHHH...splash method. Then I just use pruning shears while I
stand there with my wife laughing at me.

BV.

Pickerel problems Altum Ponds 8 17-04-2006 08:16 PM
pruning an overgrown winged eunymous Dawn Gardening 0 07-03-2006 12:21 AM
Free Iris & Purple Pickerel Weed to Locals in So. California Mike Ponds 1 18-02-2004 02:58 AM
Pruning neglected, overgrown pear tree Ed Evans Gardening 3 24-03-2003 02:08 PM
Overgrown allotment? H United Kingdom 10 16-01-2003 11:27 PM