Old 06-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Gideon Singer

Default How long to cure cement for fish

I am in the process of building a water fall for my pond which has
fish in it. I know you need to cure the cement before you can allow
water to flow over it into the pond. How long does the curing process
need to be before it is no longer a danger to the fish?
To email replace orchids with shaw
Old 06-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Hal

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:34:01 GMT, Gideon Singer
wrote:

I am in the process of building a water fall for my pond which has
fish in it. I know you need to cure the cement before you can allow
water to flow over it into the pond. How long does the curing process
need to be before it is no longer a danger to the fish?
To email replace orchids with shaw

What kind of cement? I used a sand mix to make a waterfall liner and
coated it with GE Silicon caulk to keep it from leaking water through
the porous cement.

Regards,

Hal

Old 07-03-2004, 12:38 AM
RichToyBox

The curing of portland cement is a chemical process that allows the strength
to develop, and at the same time the water tightness. Curing occurs with
moisture and temperature, so the concrete or mortar needs to be kept damp
with some form of covering to continue the curing. For applications like
ponds, the minimum curing time would be about 28 days with a minimum
temperature of 50 degrees F. After the moist part of the curing, the
concrete should be allowed to dry for about a week to evaporate some of the
water out of the pores. This will retard the movement of the calcium
hydroxide in the pore water, which is what causes the high pH of concrete.
While dry, carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will react with the calcium
hydroxide making calcium carbonate, limestone, in the outer pores, improving
the water tightness of the concrete. Then turn on the waterfall and monitor
pH. If the pH starts to increase, turn off the waterfall and allow to dry
again.
--
RichToyBox

Old 07-03-2004, 05:33 AM
Tom La Bron

Gideon,

Here is the message that I wrote to Lynn about two years about concerning
curing concrete for a fish ponds. HTH.

Quote:

According the Sunset Book of Garden Pools, Fountains, and Waterfalls,
concrete ponds can be cured by filling the pond and let it set for 24 hours,
then drain the pool and then fill again. Repeat this four times and after
refilling it let is stand for 7 days. Then rinse and refill and let stand
for another 24 hours before adding fish. Before I added the fish I would
test water quality, which would give you an idea of its pH, etc.

You can treat with muriatic acid, but this is usually done when you plan to
paint the concrete surface. If you want to use the muriatic acid you mix 1
part acid with two parts tap water in a bucket. A gallon of this solution
should cover about 300-500 square feet. With the appropriate protective
wear you scrub this on to the concrete surface and stop when the area being
worked stops bubbling. Flush the acid from the pool. Then you can paint.

The resulting surface of the pool is dictated by the mixture of sand, its
size and quality and the cement that you use. Like I said, painting is only
necessary if you plan to paint the pond and want a specific color showing up
through the water.

Go to you local library and you should be able to find some books on ponds
and it will tell you what you need to know.

Unquote.

In your case the muriatic acid technique is probably the way to go. Make
sure you reinforce the concrete.

Tom L.L.

Old 08-03-2004, 07:44 AM
adavisus

If I remember my old cement pond making days correctly, when the
cement has apparently 'cured' you can brush a solution of water and
sodium silicate over all surfaces, when that soaks in and dries it
seals all surfaces considerably

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Old 09-03-2004, 04:13 AM
Gideon Singer

Thanks to all who responed. It was helpful.

wrote:

I am in the process of building a water fall for my pond which has
fish in it. I know you need to cure the cement before you can allow
water to flow over it into the pond. How long does the curing process
need to be before it is no longer a danger to the fish?
To email replace orchids with shaw

To email
replace orchids with shaw