Old 05-08-2004, 02:20 AM
Mike Miller

Default how long to cure liner splice?

I'm about to splice 2 liners together - my old one and a new addition - but
I'm wondering how long the silicone, tape and liner prep should cure before
allowing the fish's water to touch it. Ideas?

Old 05-08-2004, 02:52 AM
BenignVanilla

"Mike Miller" wrote in message
I'm about to splice 2 liners together - my old one and a new addition -

but
I'm wondering how long the silicone, tape and liner prep should cure

before
allowing the fish's water to touch it. Ideas?

At least as long the manufacturer recommends. I let my stream run before the
24 hours that the seam tape manufacturer recommended. I have a leak to this
day.

BV.

Old 05-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Mike Miller

I bought the parts separate, not as a kit, and it doesn't say. I was
thinking more about the health of my fish, but you have a good point.

Old 10-08-2004, 05:15 AM
Gabrielle

I'm about to splice 2 liners together - my old one and a new addition - but I'm wondering how long the silicone, tape and liner prep should cure before allowing the fish's water to touch it. Ideas?

At least as long the manufacturer recommends. I let my stream run before the 24 hours that the seam tape manufacturer recommended. I have a leak to this day.

BV.

Now you tell me! I just finished reseaming the liner from my little
veggie filter to the stream. Only let it cure... oh, maybe five minutes
the first time. This time I gave it three hours, then covered the seam
with another layer of adhesive with a strip of liner on top of that,
then taped it all down with black plastic tape. So far, no noticeable
leaks -- except where the stream overflowed on the sides and that is
fixed. Of course, it's only been 36 hours . . .

Gabrielle, wishing she'd really read the directions

Old 10-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Crashj

"Gabrielle" wrote in message
BV SAID:
At least as long the manufacturer recommends.
I let my stream run before the 24 hours that the seam tape manufacturer

recommended.
I have a leak to this day.

Now you tell me! I just finished reseaming the liner from my little
veggie filter to the stream. Only let it cure... oh, maybe five minutes
the first time. This time I gave it three hours, then covered the seam
with another layer of adhesive with a strip of liner on top of that,
then taped it all down with black plastic tape. So far, no noticeable
leaks -- except where the stream overflowed on the sides and that is
fixed. Of course, it's only been 36 hours . . .

Question: what are you using for an adhesive? Is this a glue or seam sealing
tape? Most silicone rubber in a tube is a sealer and glues things together
more by coincidence that design. Also, all the protection you provide
prevents evaporation of the solvents in other materials and inhibits cure.
Silicones expect some moisture from the air to cure fully, too. Tape
adhesives just need some time to lock onto the substrate roughness.
--
Crashj

Old 12-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Gabrielle

[...]

It's a tape adhesive -- the kind you peel the backing off of.
Considering it was 110F and rather dry here in the desert, maybe the
three hours it got was enough. I'll just have to hope. If it wasn't and
it starts to leak, I'll just have to do it over and do it right. I have
now read the directions thoroughly.