Old 28-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Josh Mills

Default Tiger barb behavior?

I have 8 tiger barbs that I bought about 2 months ago. They were very
small when I got them, their body size was about 3/4" or less. They are
growing very fast as they are now about 1 1/2" to 1 3/4". Sometimes they
will break up into groups and lock lips, also their black turns to a
strange green color. Not all of the barbs do this, it seems to be the
smaller ones(males?). Is this breeding behavior? I know the fish are
probably too young, maybe just territorial behavior? It seems like if
the barbs aren't eating or looking for food, they are often engaged in
this behavior. They used to chase my angels, but now it's the other way
around, if the barbs get within 4 inches or so of the angels, the angels
bite them and chase them off, I'm glad that the angels aren't taking any
crap from the barbs now:-). The clown loach gets along with everyone. I
just want to know if this behavior means anything or if my barbs are
just ornery.

Josh
Old 29-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Think pecking order as your barbs wrestle.

We used to have tiger barbs. The name is descriptive of more than their
external markings. They fin-nip and will harry others to death. It is good
that you have a bunch of them. Makes them more likely to take each other on
instead of the world. Angels are fierce predators and will stalk smaller
fish without respite, often taking out an eye and then 'blind-siding' them.
Both in one tank will lead to a balance of sorts. If the angels get good
sized, they will set boundaries with the barbs. Have they decided about
their territory? Angels do that and defend it.

Jim

.. .