Old 11-03-2004, 07:27 PM
SueAndHerZoo

Default Strange behavior...

Hi. I'm in Connecticut and have been longingly looking at my pond through
the windows for months now. On the warmer days I'd see the fish swimming
around, and then there was that spell that the ice was so thick I thought
spring would never come! I don't know why, but the water seems more
green this year than it has in any previous years. But that's not my
problem: Yesterday when I was home for lunch I was, as usual, looking out
the window at the pond, and noticed my big platinum koi acting kind of
frisky. He was swimming fast around the perimeter, and even did a little
jump. I thought "spawning?" but no, it's too early. I looked away for a
few minutes and when I came back, I didn't see him, but I did see a lot of
splashing going on from a point where I keep some potted plants on a ledge.
I figured he was still playing and feeling frisky and was trying to knock
over a plant. This morning before work I did not see him, and at lunch
(now) I couldn't see him, either. I took a walk out there (not a wise idea
in office attire - there's so much mud from this horrible winter!) and
found that he was trapped behind the potted plant! Not only that, but
there were 4 five others trapped, too! (one dead)

What in heck possessed them to all go back there and get stuck all of a
sudden? That plant has been there in that same place for years, why this
year, and why all of them? I am totally stumped as to what caused them to
all of a sudden find that area so appealing that they got themselves stuck -
any thoughts?????
Thanks in advance.
Sue

Old 12-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Lee B.

Predators? Were they maybe all looking for some place safe to hide? Spring
has sprung and maybe the predator types are hungry after a long winter.

Regarding the "frisky" behavior, I would suspect parasites before I'd think
of spawning: I thing your water is probably still too cold. But the
creepy-crawlies are beginning to wake up, too.

Lee

"SueAndHerZoo" wrote in message
[...]

-
any thoughts?????
Thanks in advance.
Sue

Old 12-03-2004, 11:26 PM
SueAndHerZoo

Thank you, Lee, for taking the time to answer my post. I was beginning to
think my message was only showing up on my computer.

I don't know WHAT to think. The strangeness continues. I have since
removed that potted plant because they were all continually going back there
and getting stuck. Now they all seem to be hanging out near the edges of
the pond, on the surface. I noticed that my platinum koi has blood in his
tail, but don't know if that's a disease or part of being stuck behind the
plant. I'm hoping to spend all of my weekend out there trying to get the
pond cleaned up, opened, and running, and will hopefully get some clues as
to what's going on out there. I have been working 12 hours a day at the
office and it's dark and cold by the time I get home, so I'm cancelling all
weekend plans and devoting it to the fish. (Hoping the weather cooperates!)

Thanks again.
Sue

Old 13-03-2004, 07:19 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Could they be trying to scratch parasites off their body?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 13-03-2004, 07:19 AM
Zookeeper

Hi Sue. Have you checked your water quality? Sometimes the water
parameters (pH, KH, ammonia, nitrite, etc. levels) change so quickly in
the spring, that the water becomes slightly toxic and the fish react by
zipping around and jumping. You might want to do a 20-30% water change
just in case.

P.S. What other critters do you have in your "Zoo"? I'm "zookeeper"
because of our three dogs, one cat, one rabbit, and 13 koi, two teenage
boys and one teenage (51 yo) husband, but in the past our zoo has
included another cat, goldfish and a gecko ;-)
--
Zk, aka Kathy
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

SueAndHerZoo wrote:
... I don't know why, but the water seems more
green this year than it has in any previous years ... I
... noticed my big platinum koi acting kind of frisky.
He was swimming fast around the perimeter, and even did
a little jump ... I took a walk out there ... and found
that he was trapped behind the potted plant! Not only that,
but there were 4 five others trapped, too! (one dead)

What in heck possessed them to all go back there and get
stuck all of a sudden? ... why this
year, and why all of them? ...

Old 13-03-2004, 03:13 PM
SueAndHerZoo

That's a real good thought . . . I was wondering about that, too. I have
never had a parasite problem in my 4-year old pond, and I haven't introduced
anything new, and it's been frozen for the past few months, so where would
parasites come from all of a sudden? Still not ruling that out as a
possibility, but not sure why it would happen. Thanks for the suggestion -
their behavior does seem like they're trying to get something off of them.
Sue

Old 13-03-2004, 03:17 PM
SueAndHerZoo

HI, Kathy:
I am absolutely going to bundle up and go test the water shortly. It's only
30 degrees here today! I am, as I type this, doing a partial water
change. Then I hope the temperature will climb at least a few degrees so I
can put my filter back together, get the UV filter out there, and get the
pond up and running. I normally wouldn't consider it while it's still so
cold, but if I'm going to save my critters I have to do something. Yes, it
makes sense that the water parameters could have changed quickly - heck, the
weather here keeps changing quickly! I went to lunch the other day without
a coat on, and today I'm talking about bundling up!

My "zoo" has become SO much smaller since I went back to work full-time.
It now only consists of a mastiff, a pug, a Blue and Gold Macaw, an
African Grey, 2 horses, 5 turtles, 3 frogs, and 50 or so fish. Not too
long ago I also had a Shih-tzu and a cat, but they both died of old age
within a month of each other. And I've also had three monkeys in my
life, which is something I would love to do again, but can't possibly do
while working. They require a LOT of time and attention. Being a
zookeeper yourself, you probably subscribe to my philosophy: "The more I
know people, the more I love my pets". (People on this board are excluded,
of course)
Thanks for writing about my water parameters, I'll bet that's what's going
on, BUT..... why would that cause them to all huddle behind the potted
plant?????
Sue

Old 15-03-2004, 11:44 PM

yes!! also, get aeration in the pond and what are your salt levels? Ingrid

Zookeeper wrote:
Hi Sue. Have you checked your water quality? Sometimes the water
parameters (pH, KH, ammonia, nitrite, etc. levels) change so quickly in
the spring, that the water becomes slightly toxic and the fish react by
zipping around and jumping. You might want to do a 20-30% water change
just in case.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Strange bird behavior Nil Lawns 5 25-07-2008 01:11 PM
strange holodiscus behavior Emery Davis United Kingdom 0 16-04-2006 12:38 PM
strange root behavior Dave Gower Gardening 7 27-10-2004 01:45 AM
Greg/jan/others - H2O Hardness indicated, help was Strange Koi behavior, now dead. K30a Ponds 1 18-05-2003 06:44 AM
Strange Koi Behavior itten Ponds 13 17-05-2003 02:56 AM