Old 29-03-2004, 12:42 PM
John Bachman

Default Cold water plants

We are in zone 5. My pond is up and running but gets uglier every
day. Algae is building. The water temperature is 50 F and the fish
are moving about regularly.

With no plants there seems to be no hope of controlling algae. Are
there any plants that will grow and remove nutrients while the water
is so cold?

TIA

John

Old 29-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Anacharis aka water weed aka egeria densa.

--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 29-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Bonnie

John Bachman wrote:
We are in zone 5. My pond is up and running but gets uglier every
day. Algae is building. The water temperature is 50 F and the fish
are moving about regularly.

With no plants there seems to be no hope of controlling algae. Are
there any plants that will grow and remove nutrients while the water
is so cold?

TIA

John

Two very good cold water plants are water cress and water
celery. My pond still had a thin layer of ice recently and
the water celery was already starting to green. This plant
will take over the world if allowed though, so be warned!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 29-03-2004, 03:03 PM

string algae is what is in all the natural streams at this stage.
what are your water quality parameters, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?
I use a bucket filter over winter, and in a couple weeks will get my veggie filter
and the UV going. my water lilies are putting up new leaves... altho they never did
actually die back under the plastic. Ingrid

John Bachman wrote:

We are in zone 5. My pond is up and running but gets uglier every
day. Algae is building. The water temperature is 50 F and the fish
are moving about regularly.

With no plants there seems to be no hope of controlling algae. Are
there any plants that will grow and remove nutrients while the water
is so cold?

TIA

John

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 29-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Hal

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 06:41:48 -0500, John Bachman
wrote:

We are in zone 5. My pond is up and running but gets uglier every
day. Algae is building. The water temperature is 50 F and the fish
are moving about regularly.

With no plants there seems to be no hope of controlling algae. Are
there any plants that will grow and remove nutrients while the water
is so cold?

Canna lilies and cattails begin to grow in water temperature of about
40 degrees and parrot feather grows better for me in winter, Middle
Georgia Zone 8, but I'm sorry to say that may not help, since I have a
great crop of parrot feather and some string algae too. I don't
really know how to help, but I would like to recommend this article on
Green Water by Norm Meck of the San Diego Koi Club:
http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/GRENH2O.html

Regards,

Hal

Old 30-03-2004, 04:22 AM
jammer

anacharis, water fern, creeping primrose, and parrot feather all grow
like mad in the winter cold.

Old 30-03-2004, 04:22 AM
jammer

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:18:57 GMT, Bonnie
wrote:

John Bachman wrote:
We are in zone 5. My pond is up and running but gets uglier every
day. Algae is building. The water temperature is 50 F and the

fish
are moving about regularly.

With no plants there seems to be no hope of controlling algae. Are
there any plants that will grow and remove nutrients while the

water
is so cold?

TIA

John

Two very good cold water plants are water cress and water
celery. My pond still had a thin layer of ice recently and
the water celery was already starting to green. This plant
will take over the world if allowed though, so be warned!

And yet i cant get it to grow in my pond...